Blown head gasket

Scott76

Cadet
99% sure anyway. I had an older post about the boat making a weird noise, almost like air pushing past like a steam engine. At idle it was quiet, and this is my first boat and I just assumed it was normal. Everything else I build is loud as hell and you can't hear stuff like that! :D

Anyway, I replaced the exhaust gasket and no change. Still could hear the noise, which was getting progressively worse under load, coming from the number 1 cylinder on the port side, sounded like it was coming from just above the alternator... so, right at the head gasket in other words.

Did a compression test today, and every cyl is at 90psi except for that one, which is at 60. No bueno.

Before I start tearing this thing apart, anything else I should consider first? I'll give the valve lash a look see while i'm at it, but I seriously doubt a valve tightened up to the point to let that amount of air past.

*Boat is a 1987 Renken with a 2.5 Merc/Alpha One

Bondo

Staff member
Did a compression test today, and every cyl is at 90psi except for that one, which is at 60. No bueno.

Before I start tearing this thing apart, anything else I should consider first? I'll give the valve lash a look see while i'm at it, but I seriously doubt a valve tightened up to the point to let that amount of air past.

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... You might have a rebuildable core motor,.... Those numbers should be more like 130 psi/ 150 psi,....

Under 100 psi is a dead rebuildable core,....

Scott76

Cadet
Well that's awesome news. :eek:

It was a cold motor, for what it's worth. Head gasket was definetely blown in number one. Will order a new one tonight and put it back together.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would look for a free boat on craigslist with a 3.0 in it. (the free boats are usually listed as trailer, $300, must take boat, hull is rotten)

Scott76

Cadet
I paid $700 for this boat, including trailer. It's served us well. I'll replace the head gasket and keep beating on it, then pick something else up in the fall of next year.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
new head gasket wont change the fact that your motor is worn out and needs a rebuild.

rebuilding or replacing the motor will change that fact.

scoflaw

Ensign
It would be worth your while to do a leak down test before you pulled the head. May just be losing compression through the valves

Scott76

Cadet
i did a leak down test. All is well, except for the #1 cyl, that as the blown out portion of the gasket. I stripped the head and it's at the machine shop getting cleaned and surface ground.

There's not a chance on earth that I'm putting new pistons and getting the block bored and honed on a $700 boat that actually ran pretty darn god when it had a bad head gasket. If this was a boat I was planning on keeping for years, sure.

*** comp test was done on dead cold engine, I was just using it to try and isolate the problem. I will check again when it's all put back together and do one at running temp.

Last edited:

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
Don't be surprised if that tired motor can not handle the higher compression of a new gasket & head job.

Seen more than one puke the bottom end afterwards. In fact, I have one sitting out back right now that's getting ready for a 4.3 swap because of that very thing.

Don't get me wrong, I don't blame you for not throwing good money after bad. But, it could be that's what you've just done. Those are relatively cheap to overhaul if it comes to that though. Well, parts are not as cheap as a small block but they're not terribly expensive to build.

Good luck with it either way.
Jim.

Scott76

Cadet
Hmm, that is an interesting point.

I'm gonna continue down this path, if it grenades, it grenades. I like working on stuff anyway. The season is all but over here in Wisconsin anyway.

4.3 swap sounds interesting.... any details or a link?

Machine shop called today, mangaflux of the head came back good. He was surprised, said the vast majority of 2.5/3.0 heads he gets are cracked.

scoflaw

Ensign
How could your leak down test be fine and all is well when your psi is 90 ?

Scott76

Cadet
Because it met my standards for a $700 boat, and held that PSI for some time? Are you confusing leak down and compression tests?

I get it - those are low PSI readings. Again - it was performed on a motor that was dead cold. Do I expect it to rise to 150 when warm? No. Do I expect to yank a motor and do a complete rebuild on a 700 dollar Renken bowrider because the comp test read a little low? Give me a break, that **** is ridiculous. Just FYI, this is not the firstt time I've been inside of a motor.

By all means, continue to tell me I should dump more cash into this boat. :rolleyes:

scoflaw

Ensign
A leak down test doesn't hold psi. You feed 100 lbs. of air steadily into the cylinder and on the other gauge it will tell you how many pounds the cylinder will hold. while it's actively being fed the constant 100 psi

So then the leakdown rate is measured as a percentage. So not sure what your talking about when you say it held PSI for some time.

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
By all means, continue to tell me I should dump more cash into this boat. :rolleyes:

I'm with ya on that...sometimes it's worth just doing a patch job on something you do not expect much out of.

As long as it's safe and secure run that bad boy till it fails.

Scott76

Cadet
Little update fellas - finally got he head gasket replaced and the motor buttoned up. Took it out today and it ran great all day, no issues. Great to get a 75 degree day in Wisconsin in October! Oil pressure and temp all stayed within normal limits, and it sounded good.

Did a follow up compression test when I got home while the motor was still warm, every cyl right at 120 except #2 was hovering around 115 so I'll give that a look in the spring, I may have gotten a little tight on the valve lash. Drained and refilled oil, fogged the cyls and drained the water from the manifold and the block so she's pretty much ready for storage except for the outdrive.

One minor issue, seemed to be a little bit of blow by from the valve cover breather into the carb. I added the specified amount for a change with filter change, but ya know ya never really get IT ALL out so maybe it was just a little overfilled. Something to keep an eye on.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
My 3.0 used to blow by a fair amount as well, indicative of cumbustion getting by the rings. If it runs good as mine did I'd just leave it alone and enjoy it.