Bravo Bellows: Sei kit vs Mercruiser kit

blamtro

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What is the consensus of the quality of the bravo belllows transom service kit made by SEI vs Mercuiser. Im seeing a $200 price difference per kit and I have twins.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Aftrmarket parts are made to the same specs and most likely come from the same factory . Nothing wrong with SEI or Sierra items
Where are you located?

alldodge

Staff member
Have not found anything with a Sierra label to be of same quality as Merc, as for SEI I don't have an opinion but their drives have a great warranty and they stand behind the product

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Aftrmarket parts are made to the same specs and most likely come from the same factory . Nothing wrong with SEI or Sierra items

I don't agree with this at all. Some of both companies product has been Junk.
But to be fair, I haven't used anything from either of them for over 7 years.
Over my 30 years working for marina's I sold and installed a lot of Sierra stuff, some of it wasn't that bad. But you really had to look carefully before wasting your time installing it. About the only good thing I can say about them, they paid full flat rate at our posted hourly rate for all warranty repairs and they paid within a few days.

SEI on the other hand was terrible to deal with. They didn't pay any labor and it took a very long time to even get the part replaced. After that happened twice the only way we would use their parts was if the customer bought them and assumed all costs when something went wrong.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Agree. Might be made in the same factory, but the aftermarket company gets what the oem company rejects. Used Sierra bellows once. Just once.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I have always used OEM for my Cobra bellows and impellers at the very least. These are two parts that if they fail will cause you grief. Used some Sierra gaskets that were fine and a starter that was fine too.