Oily water after trimming Merc Alpha 1 all the way up

Hey Everybody-

I've got a 2005 Sea Ray 185 w/Alpha 1 stern drive. The last couple times I've been out and trimmed the drive all the way up (as high as it will go), I've noticed some sort of oil on top the water surrounding the drive. Not much, just enough to take notice. It's kind of gray/light looking. It could be happening other times too, but to-date I've only noticed it when I trim all the way to the top. I checked my out drive oil reservoir and that was full, so don't think it's related to that. Maybe something with the trim system?

Any advice would be great. Thank you!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Pretty soon it will be a lot more if you persist in running the motor with the drive "up all the way"
May be leaking trim hoses or cylinder seals

Thanks Bt Doctur! Just to clarify, I haven't been trimming all the way up while running. Only when we're stopped somewhere shallow or getting in the lift.

tpenfield

Staff member
My first thing to suspect would be the trim system . . . fittings nad the ram itself to see if it is leaking fluid. Gear oil from the outdrive seals would tend to show an oil slick more frequently than just tilting the outdrive.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It's probably a leak in the trim hoses, fittings or cylinders, but do you see an oil slick if the drive is not trimmed up with the motor off?

Also with the boat on the lift, have someone operate the trim while you watch for drops/drips/spray - That's if you can safely crawl around the lift without hurting yourself. Or if the boat is pulled out and trailered for winter storage. you can look for leaks on the trailer.