warning buzzer

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
My boat did not have any type of alarm/warning system in place when I got it. I ordered one of the Sierra kits that goes off if oil pressure gets low or temp gets high.

The only problem is that loud annoying buzzer sound as soon as the ignition is turned on. Can barely hear when the engine has started it's so loud.

I read somewhere that the factory mercruiser units have like a 15 second delay when you first turn the ignition on & start the engine? Is this correct? And would that work with my set up? Is the delay in the buzzer itself or does some other component handle the delaying of the signal? Anyone have the part # for this buzzer? Is it the #816492A5 unit? Can't find it in the description of this particular buzzer but it's the only quicksilver unit I find.

My current set up has 12v applied to the buzzer when the ignition is in the on/run position & the sensors are normally open & close to supply the ground for the buzzer if the oil psi is low or engine temp is high. Of course most of you already know this.

Thanks
Jim

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
You could wire in a small cube relay so that the start position of the key switch energizes the coil to open the 12v for the buzzer feed silencing it, once started and the key returned to the "on" position the power to the relay goes away and the contacts close to power the buzzer circuits.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
I'd like to know also, mine goes off instantly. I bought the mercruiser branded OEM kit which consisted of the buzzer, some zip ties, and some stickers. My workaround was to install a momentary normally closed push button switch, so if I'm holding that down the buzzer won't go off. Useful for night boating when I don't want to wake up the neighbors when I start up.

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
I have a light on that circuit as well but like the added insurance of the audible alarm.

BT Doctur, If I wire a relay to open the 12v side when the key is in the on position, that would definitely do what I want, but when the key is returned to the on position after starting the engine it is going to power the relay & open the circuit making the alarm inoperable. Right?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
No, the relay is wired so that the power to the alarm is interupted in the crank mode . once you release the key back t run mode the relay releases and connects the 12v to the alarm circuit
mini-automotive-relay-wiring-840x.jpg

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
85 is ground 86 is "crank" position, this energizes the coil to pull 30 onto 87. 87A is 12v from the "run" position (ign switch to on) 30 to alarm buzzer
once you release the key, the power connection is made to the alarm circuit.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
In the mid to late 80s Merc did produce a buzzer with a timer delay... Here's the parts diagram, pick what you need....

Chris.........

buzzer.PNG

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
BT Doctur, if I'm understanding correctly this setup will cut off the buzzer only while I'm cranking the engine, correct? I'll be able to hear the engine start but any time the key is in the on position the buzzer will be energized & buzzing, correct?

Achris, thank you, that is the part I was looking for but could not find anything that said it was the timed delay style.

achris

Chris, thank you, that is the part I was looking for but could not find anything that said it was the timed delay style.

Have a look at part #8, it's called "timer".....

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
the buzzer will sound for no oil pressure, high engine temp, low outdrive oil Most engines develop oil pressure almost instantly during cranking so it should be silent
With ign "on" and motor not running the alarm will sound. It will go silent during "crank/start" position and repower when key is released to "on/run" position

alldodge

Staff member
Looks like Chris has the answer, if I could only read the part number

achris

You actually need part number 7, which is the housing, the timer, and the buzzer. All you need to decide is whether you want it with or without bullet connectors.

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
OK BT Doctur I got it now. Thanks

Achris, yes I see the timer piece in that diagram. That's what I was looking for as I had seen it somewhere but the only thing I could find was the newer style I guess. It only has the alarm in a plastic housing with no timer but the diagram you posted is definitely the older style I was trying to find. Thank you very much.
Jim.

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
Yes part #86047 A ** is the buzzer with the timer. #816492 A ** is apparently the newer style with no timer. There are several of this style on eBay & a couple of the timer style on there as well. They're kind of pricey. Most of them are in the $70-$100 range. I found a NOS unit still in the original packaging for $25 so I ordered it.

Thanks so much achris for posting that diagram
And thank you BT Doctur for the diagram & instruction on the relay wiring.

Jim.

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
Like that time delay idea !

I switched to a Piezo electric buzzer which has somewhat more pleasant sound before it drove my wife permanently crazy and loosened all my cleats from its vibration.

Its still loud enough to hear ( I cannot remember the exact DB's ) and I like hearing it if I leave the key turned on before cranking to ensure the circuit is working--

However it seems I did not complete the project in time help my wife :)

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
Yes, the vibration from that buzzer is intense.
As my ol' g-pa used to say, "it's enuff to jar your eye teeth loose"

The new time delay one should be here today. Along with my parts to isolate my batteries so I'll have a couple days worth of work to do on her this week.

Jim