both engines just click

bobgaudette

Recruit
2004 2900 se with twin merc 4.3. One day went out and port engine would only click when try and start. Other engine would start fine. Jumped slave solenoid still just click. Charged battery, still just click. Thinking bad starter. Week later went out and other engine just clicks. Can't find slave solenoid on this one so can't bypass it. Charge battery, still just click. Bought new batteries, both still just click. I guess it's possible both starters went within a week of each other, but that is just weird. Any way to bring power direct to starter to test them? Any idea where they moved slave solenoid on newer engine? Any other thoughts?

Last edited:

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
If you have 12v on the large post on the starter & you put 12v to the small post (I think it's usually marked "S" & it's closest post to the block with yellow & red wire on mine) it should crank. If it's good that is.

Good luck.
Jim

Bondo

Staff member
Today, 03:35 PM
Check all the ground connections.

Ayuh,.... Yer up early Chris,...

I'd think removin', cleanin' to shiny metal Clean, 'n puttin' everything back together might be the answer,...

The Problem sounds like corroded wirin' ends in the startin' circuit, or as Chris says, Corroded grounds,....
Start at the batteries, 'n do both ends of both cables,...
Then the slave solenoid, then the starter, 'n it's solenoid,....