Out drive Oil Mess in my Bellows:(

SHickey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello,

I have a project Mirrocraft 21' with a 1974 Mercruiser 140 HP with an MC-1 outdrive. I pulled the outdrive for the season and discovered a mess of outdrive oil and water in the bellows. This has never happened to me before and I was quite shocked to see this mess.

Can someone help me out and guide me to where this leak is coming from and whether or not I could repair the leak with new gaskets or seals.

The outdrive is already removed from the stern so it is completely accessible for repair or service.

Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
Upper seal...possibly the u joint is worn where the seal meets it's contact.

Common issue

SHickey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Would I be able to replace the seal myself or are there special tools involved to remove the old seal and replace it? The last seal I replaced on a similar outdrive was the shift shaft seal after fluid was leaking out of one of the weep holes.

Always something with these older outdrives :/

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
With that big Castle nut wrench and some patience it's not terribly difficult. The MC-1 drive I BELIEVE is similar to the Alpha one...but don't mark me on it. My expertise falls into the Alpha one drives

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
Expertise meaning...I've taken 3 of them apart and repaired leaks and other issues.

SHickey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks,

I will look at the manual and see how difficult the process is. I will need to get the special star wrench to remove the top of the Outdrive and peek inside.

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
With mine the smooth surface on the yoke shaft was pitted. I was able to get it out with some #400 sandpaper. It did pass the pressure test but I doubt it will last another season without getting the yoke re sleeved.

Good luck

Bondo

Staff member
I will need to get the special star wrench to remove the top of the Outdrive and peek inside.

Ayuh,.... Nothin' "Special" 'bout 'em,....

They just take a 12-point socket, rather than a 6-point socket,....

3/8", I think,....

SHickey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Alright,

Thanks for all of the comments and advice
I pretty much have all fall and winter to take it apart and put it back together by spring.
The only advantage of living it the north, plenty of time to repair and rebuild our boats :)