Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Store Links Mobile - Shop Now

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone else’s topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when it’s posted at the end of someone else’s topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

1988 mercruiser 5.0lx/alpha1 gen 1 expert needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 mercruiser 5.0lx/alpha1 gen 1 expert needed

i have 1988 mercruiser 5.0 lx /alpha1 gen1 ,water is only picked up from outdrive (brand new sei 06/17)and pushed to motor , osco4354 risers/restricted riser gasket thermostat housing is only 4 outlets no check balls ,also thermostat housing looks to be the correct themostat housing (has only 1 plug opening )where bravo style has 2 plug openings. the water inlets on the risers from style of thermostat housing with check balls is plugged off (see pics) heres my question and problem first WHY a restricted (pencil hole style) gasket ,seems i have problem with getting enough water thru motor out the exhaust its either good flow on port side and little on starboard side or vice versa ,i can make the flow change sides by pinching off water , good flow side for a minute then flows other side ,then un pinch hose ,good flow doe n't comeback ,can i switch to open flow gasket and correct this problem or is it a vacuum issue ,if i turn off motor and start again sometimes it changes good flow side,took riser off and cleaned out ,put new gaskets on but same issue any ideas as always thanx p.s. do this style engine /outdrive come with water pumps?
    1988 thompson 240 project

side note my thermostat is the design III style

Comment

Finding your post a little hard to follow -- But it may be its just me.

---Can you post some pics of the gasket you are referring to ?

-- Also if you pull the 2 rear smaller diameter hoses are their any spring loaded white plastic check balls ?

Perhaps an exploded view from the manual or a parts site would help here ??????

Comment

thermostat housing is only 4 outlets no check balls
        Ayuh,.... I chased a over heat at idle problem for years, til I figured out I had a Alpha, Gen.II motor in front of my Alpha 1 drive,....
        I'd done a major refit with mixed parts, 'n pieces,.... I also didn't know nearly as much as I thought I did 'bout I/Os back then,...

The Alpha 1 flows considerably less water than the bigger pump in the Gen.II drives,....

I put the check-balls in my t-stat housin', 'n haven't had a problem since,....

My guess is, in yer up-datin', ya got incompatible bits, 'n pieces,....

Comment

its not over heating ,one riser gets hotter than the other but not over heating its more about flow , I did put pictures up ,no check balls this is called style III thermostat housing application look on sierra marine catalog 2017 page 725 ,its the last 1988 mercruiser 5.0 lx/alpha1 gen 1 , I believe I have correct engine/outdrive application,you definitely know more than me,bondo ,how about adding seawater pump? can it be done on my engine/outdrive

Comment

sorry ,bondo what would be incompatible parts thermostat housing or riser not much else going on there

Comment

Originally posted by newtoboat101 View Post
              its not over heating ,one riser gets hotter than the other but not over heating its more about flow ...
              If that's the case, you don't have a problem. It's normal for one side to be hotter than the other, and pinching off the hose going to the cooler side will cause the water to follow a new 'path of least resistance', and go via the other elbow (not riser. Risers are the extension sections that allow the elbow to be placed higher up, in the case of boats with an engine sitting very low down)....
              Click image for larger version

Name:	riser.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	277111

Last edited by achris; September 19th, 2017, 04:27 AM.
              xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
              The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100’ below.
              1972 Bertram ‘Bahia Mar’ 20
              2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha One Gen II (0W829301)
              (Original - 1972 '165' In-line 6. Previous - 1994 4.3LX)

Comment

sorry ,bondo what would be incompatible parts thermostat housing or riser not much else going on there
                The incompatibilty Bondo is referring to is using Gen II engine cooling system parts (specifically the thermostat housing) on an engine being supplies water form a Gen I drive. Gen I drives have a much lower volume pump. That's why they needed the check balls in the outlet side, to not allow water out of the engine until the thermostat opened and allowed the pressure of the incoming water behind the hot water to push open the check balls. If you have a Gen I drive, you need a thermostat housing designed for a Gen I drive..

Just looked at your pictures. . You have a Gen II thermostat housing (and plumbing) and a Gen I drive. Never going to work properly. The reason you are working (at low speeds) now is because of the restriction gaskets. They are holding the water in the block. Once the engine demand gets up, those holes are going to restrict flow and the engine will not be able to cool properly. Those blocked off elbow inlets... You need to get the right thermostat housing with check balls, a new set of hoses (from the thermostat housing to each elbow, and the bottom of each manifold), and set the system up correctly for the engine to cool properly.

This is what your system should look like....

Name:	cooling.PNG
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	277113

Name:	t-housing.PNG
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	277114

Last edited by achris; September 19th, 2017, 04:30 AM.

Comment

thank you will have to set up this way

Comment

this is style cooling i have should be correct set up ,right idk, took from crowley marine standard cooling system for alpha , other setups aren't for alpha ? so why the check ball style i have alpha 1 gen 1 outdrive

Comment

i think this is style i should change to what do you think,doesn't say for alpha or bravo but the engine is correct

Comment

so why the check ball style i have alpha 1 gen 1 outdrive
                        Ayuh,.... The Alpha 1 drive water pump just doesn't move the volume of water the Gen.II pumps move,...

Ya Need the check-balls, or it's gonna overheat,.....

Comment

this is style cooling i have should be correct set up ,right idk, took from crowley marine standard cooling system for alpha , other setups aren't for alpha ? so why the check ball style i have alpha 1 gen 1 outdrive
                          Nope. That thermostat housing is a Gen II. I don't know where you are being told that's a Gen I, it's not.

Comment

i think this is style i should change to what do you think,doesn't say for alpha or bravo but the engine is correct
                            That's the early style thermostat housing. You're better off with the later style, like the diagram I posted.

Comment

you are totally right ,this mfers for big block found info on perfprotech.com under changes to mercruiser parts thermostat housing ,and your right better going with your set up thanx for your knowledge greatly appreciated

Comment

Working...
                              X