Installing the VesselView Mobile on Mercruiser 4.3 MPI

animap

Cadet
Hi,

I got my VesselView Mobile unit on Wednesday, so today I headed to the boat to install it. Here is the result, and hopefully some information for others that are planning to install this unit:

https://youtu.be/d68rj2tYbJk

I definately count this as one of the best boat-items I have purchased so far in my career (I am in no way connected to Mercuiser! :happy:)

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
It's brilliant isn't it. Many make the mistake of not getting the terminator cap too. This is required for the older mpi engines.

animap

Cadet
Yes, its a brilliant accessory. I also read on some Swedish boat forum that the terminator cap is not present by default on older engines, like 2010 or older, On those, it is just a weather cap over the SmartCraft connector, so a terminator cap must be purchased separately.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Correct animap. I had to buy one. It appears to be the most asked question when installing.
The App is superb. Helped me get the boat propped brilliantly and the fuel data is excellent. Would love to see them update it to be more relevant to Merc inboards, in terms of the service section of the app. Currently based on outboard details.

animap

Cadet
Although I installed this mainly to check the fuel economy, I was a bit surprised that I could not find more data. All I could find was:
- RPM
- Coolant temperature
- Voltage
- Fuel flow (and then calculated to km/l etc based on the mobile GPS)

I know that the SmartCraft system gives much more data from my engine. Is this just a limitation of the app?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Perhaps. But you can select or press on almost every topic displayed. There are sub sections upon sub sections.
I'd have liked to have seen oil pressure, temp etc though. Does the smart craft show this ?
Presumably he vessel view is capable of everything the smart craft is ? Perhaps just not configured as such.
There are updates every now and then. I check for them every day. Haha.
When it first came out I sent them feedback about the UK units used.
For example...in the UK, we use litres, but also MPH. The options when it first came out were just "imperial" or "metric". This meant that to see a the fuel consumption in litres, the speed was in KPH...no good to me.
So, I sent them feedback, they listened, responded with thanks and then updated the app with the ability to have both ! I was delighted that they had listened.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Also a good feature...if you select the fuel section , and select another section after that (can't remember which), it tells you your range left and time left.
I found this useful to find out what my best cruise speed was.
Previously I thought it would be just above planing speed at 2200 rpm and about 25mph....turns out it's actually about 2500-2600 and over 30mph. Doesn't quite feel right doing that speed and thinking it's economical. Haha.
I also wish it would show you how much fuel you have left when you are offline and not connected. This would be useful to know. Just so I could know how much fuel to buy at the petrol station on the way to the boat. Think I'll send them some feedback again.

animap

Cadet
Animap....tell me this...does your figures ring true with this fuel calculator ? My 5.0 mpi has shown to be pretty close, if not a little more frugal than shown. See below and select the 4.3 mpi.

http://www.boat-fuel-economy.com/mer...umption-liters

At 3050 rpm, my engine used 28 l/hour, the calculator said 22. At 4200 rpm my engine used 54 l/hour, and that is pretty close to the calculator. At 1200 rpm is used 5.8 l/hour, thats also about right with the calculator. At idle (550 rpm) my engine used 2.7 l/hour, the calculator say 2.0

The boat has been in the water all summer, so I guess the hull below water has quite a lot of algae and shells on it, maybe that is the reason for the higher consumption at cruise speed.

Last edited:

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer
I agree this is an awesome add on. I installed the VesselView mobile on my 2011 Mercruiser 5.0 MPI (ECT) to be able to read codes if they appeared. I do not have smart craft gauges. I set a code when I forgot to hook up the temperature sender for the computer :facepalm: when I changed the thermostat during regular maintenance. This set off a code where I got a mild beep from the helm in 1 minute intervals. Before the beep even went off VesselView sent a message to my phone describing the code as: Engine Coolant Temperature Starboard...The input circuit for the senor is above the valid limit.

VesselView is nice because it gave me a direction to start looking for the problem.

I found I could Block or Silence the code to the phone but not from the computer. The alarm at the helm continued to beep. I had to take the boat to the dealer to have them check the code. This is one feature I wish the VesselView had. But, I am glad I could see what the code was especially if I was miles from home on the water. My next purchase will be a diagnostic tool.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I have the app installed but haven't bought the engine adapter yet. How does it communicate with the phone? Bluetooth or wifi?

Cheers.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Was amazing how the rpm on the gauge and the app varied through the rev range. Sometimes the gauge was fairly accurate...but at wot it was nearly 200rpm out.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Was amazing how the rpm on the gauge and the app varied through the rev range. Sometimes the gauge was fairly accurate...but at wot it was nearly 200rpm out.

200rpm at WOT is considered not tea-bag.... I've seen a few that were 200rpm out AT IDLE! and just got worse from there.

Chris......

Fojki

Recruit
Hello, I bought a vesselview mobile. The engine I have a mercruiser mag 350 year 2011 st single engine
number engine 1A608341 I can not find the yellow 10 pin conector for connection.
Is it possible that I need an adapter and how to connect it?

please help Thanks Thomas

Regal 2550

Last edited:

Fojki

Recruit
I found the only box in which there is a big yellow connector and there are small fuses. Maybe I need some adapter for my motor?
please help Thanks Thomas

Regal 2550