alpha 1 gen 2 drive will not go into gear

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
After a reseal of the drive shaft housing I re-installed the drive on the boat and ran it on muffs to check it out. Now the drive will not go into gear. Where do I start?
Jcris

tlewis1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds like the shift shoe is not lined up. Just remove the drive unit again and make sure the throttle handle is in the fwd position. The drive unit needs to be in fwd gear as well, put the prop on and rotate counter clockwise while adjusting the shifter on the drive unit so that is faces fwd...Just be careful installing that the shifter on the drive does not move..

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
I think that's exactly what happened. Kind of tricky making sure that all lines up. The drive would not go on at all until I put the throttle handle in forward. Then it slipped right on. But I'm not sure if the shifter on the drive was in forward. So that shifter can actually go on 2 ways? I figured if it lined up with the shoe on the upper shift shaft all was good. Well it's a tomorrow thing,
Thanks t.
Jcris

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
With the control box in full forward and the upper shoe pointing in a straight line, turn the lower shoe fully clockwise so that the prop locks CCW. this is forward, slide the drive on making sure the roller is in the shift slide arms

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
Well I re-installed the drive and still it will not go into gear. I did lock the prop CCW but I'm not 100% the roller is in the shift slide arm. Looks like I'll have to double check
Jcris
I just pulled the drive and I see no issue with the shift slide. I can move the shift handle at console and the arms on the slide engage the roller consistently, forward and aft.It was noted by achris in a previous post that the slide looked suspect and may need replacement. I'm not sure I follow that but failed to follow up with him on specifically what he meant. It looks fine but I'm new to working on outdrives. Maybe I'm not seeing the issue. Take a look at the pic and please advise. It appears the roller is at the very end of the fork on the slide when in forward gear. Does that look suspect? It seems to function normally when the drive is not connected to the bell housing. Could the roller be twisting out of place when it engages the gears?
Or could there potentially be bigger problems in the drive? slide.jpg

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
simply resealing a upper should have no effect on the shifting.If the slide in the pic is moving and the shaft is moving it will shift.
Did you do any work on the lower unit?

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

OK , tell me if this makes sense. When I removed the drive part of the service work was to replace the seals on the shift shaft. The one on the bell housing. When I re-installed that shaft I couldn't remember what position that keeper pin/screw belonged in. I just took a look at it and I may have installed it 180 out. Which means the shoe would be pointing the wrong direction. The first pic (starting from the left) below shows what I believe is the correct position, the second shows the shaft installed wrong and the third shows the pin/screw.
Which is correct?

Attachments

• photo277057.jpg
    photo277057.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo277058.jpg
    photo277058.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo277059.jpg
    photo277059.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 0

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
That diagram shows the "shoe" on the shift shaft as I had it installed originally. That means it's in there wrong currently. I'll pull the drive again and correct that. But the problem remains. It will not shift into gear.

tlewis1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does the drive unit shift ok when on the stand and not on the boat? If you had the 'shoe' in there backwards that would not allow the drive unit to shift properly.

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
I need to recheck everything. Which means pulling the drive and separating the upper and lower. It seems like the lower shift shaft is not engaging.
Thanks t,
Jcris
After reading over the repair manual (#14) it seems a closer look at the installation of the lower shift shaft (in the lower portion of the drive) is in order. I had to remove the shaft to replace the seal assembly which was a matter of removing a cir-clip/e-ring.. That cir-clip prevents the shaft from moving up and disengaging the forward/reverse dog. Not sure of the terminology there. As long as the bend in the shaft is pointed forward it should be good, No? Is there a need to press the end of that shift shaft down to properly mesh?
After re- reading a few times I think my issue is with the way I re-installed the lower drive to the upper. I did not lock the shift shaft into forward gear before putting it back together. I'm draining the drive now for yet another attempt at slaying the learning curve. Stay tuned
Jcris

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
In your first photo in the first post, that upper shift shaft looks 180 degrees out. Could be an optical delusion.... When the control is in forward the shoe should be pointing forward. (To the front of the boat)

Since you lifted the lower shift shaft out of the shift crank (in the lower housing) to replace the seal, it's possible that it's one spline out. You need to pull the drive and check (you don't need to drain the oil or separate the halves unless it's wrong). Turn the prop ccw while turning the shift shaft cw. Both shafts should lock. And the shift shaft will be pointing to the 12 o'clock position. That's forward gear. Carefully turn the shift shaft ccw to about the 11 o'clock position. That should be neutral, and the prop should spin freely in both directions. While turning the prop cw, turn the shift shaft ccw to about the 10 o'clock position. Both shaft should again lock, that's reverse. Due to the ramped design of the shift dog, turning the prop in the direction of the gear that's engaged will push the dog back to the neutral position, which is why we turn the prop in the opposite direction for the gear we're looking for. And why you ONLY turn the prop in reverse to align the yoke splines when installing the drive. ..

On the GEN II drives the reason to be in forward gear (when assembling the 2 halves) is so the lower shift shaft will pass through the opening in the bottom of the upper housing casting. Other than that, it makes no difference. But that is only for the Gen IIs. On the Gen I, yes the lower must be in forward to get the correct alignment between the lower and the intermediate shift shafts. As the Gen II doesn't have an intermediate shift shaft, the requirement it moot.

Hope this helps.

Chris. ...

Last edited:

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks guy's
Well I went ahead and removed the drive and installed the upper shift shaft correctly. With the shoe facing forward, toward the front of the boat. This was after draining the oil, drat! All this of course was before I got the most recent posts from bt and chris. So This morning I will pull the drive again ( probably the 5th time in the last 2 days) and double check that the lower shift shaft is installed correctly. When I re-installed the drive the last time with the lower shift shaft installed correctly it went together sweet as you please. Like a darn pro did the work lol. Once again the learning curve rears it's head.
Jcris

Last edited:

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
Hey bt,
I don't recall seeing a sleeve on the lower shaft as shown in the diagram above. There was a seal pressed into the housing but no sleeve. I'm not sure it matters as the bend in the lower shaft is held in place by the shoe on the upper shaft. What I don't get is why that clip is so far down that shaft? There seems to be about a 1/2" of play between the lower part of that housing and the clip. Maybe that accounts for the movement of the shaft during shifting?
Jcris
Well I removed the drive again and everything checks out per the excellent description given by chris. Unfortunately the bell housing gasket is a bit worse for all the on/off wear. So that will need to be replaced. Off to the parts store I go

Last edited:

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
Just to put his to bed,
All is right again with the alpha gen 2. It goes into gear sweet as you please. Bt and Chris have been enormously helpful along the way. Your patience with this old rookie is on the order of admirable! I'm amazed at the number of questions you respond too. You guy's along with several others make this forum a valuable resource.
Thank you very much!
Jcris, the 62 year old rookie