Since im changing bellows, what else should be done?

Brandon H.

Cadet
1996 Donzi Medallion 182
4.3l Mercruiser

Hey guys, bought my first boat a 3 months ago and its almost ready for the water. Trying to do all the maintanance thats needed. I have already replaced the risers and manifolds, exhaust flaps, Water temp sensor and thermostat, new fuel shut off valve on tank, anti siphon fitting and marine fuel hose (coated fittings in tefgel).

So far its been a fun project. Was just about to hit the water and noticed a tear in the shift bellow boot. Since I will be in the lower unit now, what else should be replaced? Do they sell kits with all the bellows and gimbal bearing?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
check alignment and inspect the gimbal bearing. I personally like to replace the gimbal

and yes, you can find a kit with all the bellows, gimbal bearing, alignment tool, and bellows tools for like $150-$170. check ebay

Bondo

Staff member
and noticed a tear in the shift bellow boot.

Ayuh,.... The lower shift cable is gonna fail, so change it as well,....

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
Inspect trim sensor and trim limit switch, as well as making sure all of the plastic washers are in good shape at the bell housing, also your water hose

Brandon H.

Cadet
Thanks guys, making a check list now. The trim sensors arent working and I saw a little tear in the wiring. Going to dig into it when i have it apart. Also do the impeller.

Also im having an issue, it had a power steering leak and was really low on fluid. I replaced the line no more leaks, but when i turn the wheel lock to lock i get a horrible shake at a certian point when turning the steering back and forth engine running I have been lock to lock with engine running and off thinking air in the lines but it has not fixed it. When outside the boat i can move the drive by hand but going to one side it seems to get stiff and not move as far (turns all the way at the wheel though. Can this be ujoints? Im trying to order parts asap before tearing into it this weekend

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
Could be u-joints or gimbal, Won't know for sure until you remove the outdrive. Takes 5 minutes to do.

fishrdan

Admiral
Lower unit's water pump, if it hasn't been done. Drive lube while you're at it.