What Type of Gasket Sealant?

Quarterwave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,

I just ordered a stainless gasket kit (heads and rocker covers) for a 5.7 GM truck engine (4BBL carb) that I'm converting for a marine application and was wondering what (if any) gasket sealant I'll need?

Also, do I need any sealant for the mechanical fuel pump, heat exchangers or water pump and housing?

Thanks.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you will need a good sealant for the waterpump bolts and intake bolts as well as head bolts.

dont forget to change your engine circulation pump to marine, as well as change the core plugs to brass.

Permatex #1 for core plugs
Loctite 542 or 565 for sealing the treads of the water pump, head bolts and intake manifold bolts
RTV ultra-black or ultra-copper for sealing the china walls under the intake
permatex #3 for anything you may want to separate later.

normally water pump and fuel pump I put on without sealant. sometimes a dab to hold in place.

kenny nunez

Captain
In addition to the above post for the head gaskets that are solid metal. The machinist who used to do my machine work he would use Chrome Aluminum spray paint. Have your head bolts prepared then really put a lot of the paint on the gasket then put the head on and torque it up. The paint soaks into all the small machine groves and seals it up. I have done it that way for years and it works. It also works on composit head gaskets unless the gasket maker says "no sealer".

Quarterwave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Awesome, thanks everyone! Yes, I have the marine water pump on hand and also the brass core plugs. I just wasn't sure about the sealants. I also need to pull the gaskets out of the shipping box, and plan on doing that next weekend.

Again, much appreciated info!