Exaust reversion 6.2 thru hull W/ swim platform muffler system

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
A long story so I`ll try to shorten it up a bit
Twin Formula was BB now SB 6.2 motors. heavily rusted manifolds and exaust ports in heads, well worn motor puller for rebuild. new manifolds, extention, risers, heads reconned. ran for 2016 no issues. stuck valves at spring 2017 startup. heavily rusted heads, exaust ports, and manifolds. At start of 2016 manifolds and risers replaced on port motor as a precaution. Old manifolds and risers heavily rusted.Do you see a pattern developing?

Fall of 2016 port motor pulled for rebuild, manifolds rusted, head ports rusted, etc.2017 Spring, new motor installed test run 2X ,
Stbd motor attempt to start, hung valves. heads removed, heavily rusted , manifolds heavily rusted. remove and examine heads , replace with new heads ,assemble , test and put boat in service. 2 hours later port motor takes a dump, No power, backfires, etc.

Eventually pulled heads and valves were rusted and stuck. repaired heads . While port was disassembled I pulled a stbd riser and looked inside, it looked like rock salt in there with less than 2 hours run time. suspected exaust reversion.Searching the web we found other Formula boats with the same problem and a dealer who replace the twin engines 3 x because they could not find an answer.. I cannot raise the risers up with extentions and cannot lower the exaust outlets or the swim platform.So the logical answer is to extend the riser outlets.

This is what we came up with for testing. 2 inch O.D. thinwall SS tubes .It`s a drive in type fit, very snug. Based on a fancy product to reduce or eliminate exaust reversion in these motors with thru hull exaust systems.Will post the final pics after the testing period to see if the manifolds and risers are carbon covered or rusted. Stay tuned .

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
The boat use to have BBC and changed to SBC and there is no room to raise the exhaust?

I think someone needs to weight the boat, may be water logged

water.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Ditto AD's thoughts,....

Riser blocks on the manifolds, or the boat sits to low in the water,....

Is there the 13" required 'tween the waterline, 'n the tippin' point of the risers,..??

Are there shutters in the pipes,..??

My 4.3l the exhaust runs a straight line off the risers, 'n no issues,...

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
those side pockets do keep some water in them , the drain holes are well forward of the transom.
Both engines are running on land and do sound a lot better though it could be my high hopes of curing this infection.The holes in the bottom of the swim platform will be enlarged quite a bit just in case.

Gets dropped in by this Friday and keeping my fingers crossed. Should have the new pics up at the end of the season showing just clean black carbon in the manifolds and risers.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
A quick update, after about 4 hours a small hole burned thru one tube, that was expected because we dont know how long the tube can be. It was resting on the bottom of the wet exaust rubber . Once the riser was removed there was no evidence of salt deposits anywhere and there was a nice black coat of exaust carbon.so I shortened the tubes 2 inches and returned it to service.
The following weekend the run time was 6 hours and no reported burn thru`s.or issues . In a few more weeks I will have new photos so stay tuned.

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
I watched a video about riser designs a couple years ago & they had video cameras of some sort placed inside the risers & it showed the exhaust water "walking" back up through the risers & into the exhaust manifolds. And it wasn't because of big cams.
They designed some kind of hook or a sharp hump into the floor of the risers right at the bend to keep the water from reversing it's path. It was very interesting.
Is your problem from lake water splashing or running back into the exhaust? Or do you know for sure? Sure is an expensive problem to be having. Especially with "twins"
Good luck & hope your test works out.
You know, come to think of it, my old 140 riser has a piece that looks to be riveted into it that is like what you've done although it's quite a bit shorter.
Good luck.
Jim.

Fun Times

Staff member
Hey Bt, Have you ever messed with Mercruiser's thru-hull Exhaust Resonators? It seems essentially you are doing about the same thing by experimenting with the long pipe but maybe these are what you need even for the bigger CAMed 6.2l engine even though they say it's used on some big block models depending exhaust configuration.

There's some dimensions mentioned in the following link that may help guide you better...The whole link is worth a read for what you're going through with this one.
https://www.perfprotech.com/blog/art...ust-resonators

Merc resonator kit part number 860222A1, https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...222A1&_sacat=0
^ If you read the instructions sheet that come in the kit, it says all V8's... not just big blocks.

Just in case this is happening, you may want to mention to the owner of the boat that sometimes having most everyone on the boat stand on the swim platform all at the same time isn't a good idea as it may change the specified waterline allowances.

Also since the boat appears to not be using a Y-pipe exhaust system, look to see if the exhaust bellows/tube under the U-joint bellows is not in place..You'll be a hero if the boat ends up performing better/faster with the bellows removed.< For that, read the last important line in the exhaust link above.

Good luck.:)

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I wonder if those one way check valves that Volvo used on the Vortec 4.3s would help? These were intended to allow air into the exhaust system to prevent vacuum from exhaust pulses from pulling water back into the exhaust gas passage. They are used on pretty much all Volvo 4.3s and I've seen them on small block V8s as well. It is a one way check valve that screws into a threaded port that goes into the exhaust gas passage of the riser.

Fun Times

Staff member
I wonder if those one way check valves that Volvo used on the Vortec 4.3s would help? These were intended to allow air into the exhaust system to prevent vacuum from exhaust pulses from pulling water back into the exhaust gas passage. They are used on pretty much all Volvo 4.3s and I've seen them on small block V8s as well. It is a one way check valve that screws into a threaded port that goes into the exhaust gas passage of the riser.
Good thought Lou...:eagerness:

Those check valves would be Volvo part number 3857761 item # 5, http://www.volvopentastore.com/Exhau...view_id.780601
Some pretty good images of one here for you Bt, https://bpi.ebasicpower.com/shop/ind...ducts_id=16826

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
One of the rooms I was in had the racing guys and they said they dont work,it was a fix for the inboards they were having reversion issues with the lift mufflers.
Never with anything bothered because I never had a boat with this much trouble . Basically stock motors ,nothing exotic but had reversion from the day they were installed.by the PO. This problem is unique to this boats exaust system and swim platform. A dealer replaced both motors 3X and never figured it out.
All I know so far is that the extention tube has worked because there is no salt residue in the manifolds/extention or risers.
None of my customers with underwater exaust or straight thru hull exaust have any problems or straight inboatd exaust .
Like I said I will have pics later on