Leaking Gear Lube Supply Hose

Billd232

Cadet
I have a 1997 Chaparral 1930SS with Mercruiser 4.3 LXH gen+ Alpha One Outdrive. Finally got it out on the water for the first time, and after a couple of hours it alarmed for low gear lube. Had enough with me to get us home, but a puddle on the ground the next morning confirmed a pretty sizable leak had formed. I followed the hose where I could, and found cracking and dry-rot (and leaking fluid) in the section where it enters the bell housing. It obviously needs replacement. I removed the outdrive with guidance from postings on iBoats and videos. It was all very easy, but I still don't have access to the hose, and I know that things start to get a little more complicated from here.

My first question...Can someone let me know if there is a way to change this hose without removing the bell housing? Seems impossible from the looks of it, but maybe I am missing something.

Also, if I am going to remove the bell housing, will this require replacing all bellows, or is it just good practice to do so anyway?

I have posted a picture of the inside of the main drive bellow. I posted a second picture of the side of the bell housing that shows the drive bellow, some rust/rot on the shift cable bellow, and the leaking gear lube hose near the top. Obviously you can only tell so much from the pictures, but is there anything that sticks out in them that would steer your advice one way or another.

I'll mention that the gimbal bearing feels good. Feels smooth, and no noticeable play from feel.

Lastly, can anyone recommend a good video that walks through the removal and reassemble of the bell housing?

Thanks!
Bill

Attachments

• photo275145.JPG
    photo275145.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo275146.JPG
    photo275146.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo275147.JPG
    photo275147.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 2
  • photo275148.JPG
    photo275148.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 2

tlewis1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've replaced two of those fittings this year which involved removing that hose. It would make your life allot easier with the bell hsng out of the way but it is doable with it in place. Be very carfull when removing the hose as it is attached to a plastic fitting that breaks very easy.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
+1 on that (sometimes plastic) bulkhead fitting. As stated, be very careful. That fitting on the transom side can break easily and it's a real pita to replace. Almost impossible with the engine and power steering log in your way.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Maybe it's just Me,... But,....

When I've gotta go that deep,... All of the rubber parts, 'n the lower shift cable get replaced then,....
Otherwise, you'll be back in there in a rather short time,....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I agree with Bondo, spend the $ and replace the bellows. while in there, inspect the gimble. heck, for $150, replace it all.