Mercruiser 3.0 TKS squeaky sound

Mortal.Wombat

Recruit
Hi, I recently purchased my first boat with Mercruiser 3.0 TKS 2007 Alpha1. Noticed a squeaky sound when motor started and when trimming the motor when gear engaged. Sound lasts no more than a minute.
I have read a few threads and some people say that it's a loose V-belt, but it looks like sound is going from back of the motor.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Not sure on the squeakin' noise,... Has the drive, gimbel bearin', 'n driveshaft been greased,..??

It sounds like it might be skippin' on 1 cylinder, or maybe an exhaust leak on a cylinder,...
The steady puffin' sound I hear,...

Mortal.Wombat

Recruit
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Not sure on the squeakin' noise,... Has the drive, gimbel bearin', 'n driveshaft been greased,..??

It sounds like it might be skippin' on 1 cylinder, or maybe an exhaust leak on a cylinder,...
The steady puffin' sound I hear,...

Thank you for reply. Not sure about gimbel bearing and driveshaft grease, but major service was done in April 2017 by Mercury dealer, so I assume it was greased.
When I purchased this boat just over a month ago, I paid for pre-purchase inspection, and cylinders compression test does not reveal any faults, not sure if it's relevant to exhaust leak. I'll check spark plug leads to diagnose this puffing sound.

Any other suggestions about squeaking sound?

Last edited:

Mortal.Wombat

Recruit
Double checked alternators v-belt tension and belt was loose. I could spin alternator with my hand :eek:
Squeaking sound disappeared after belt tension adjustment.