Edelbrock manifold and carb upgrade question

LX Kid

Ensign
Have a '82 Mercruiser 305 engine, and while engine is remover, I'm putting an Edelbrock 2101 Performer intake and a Edelbrock Marine, 1409 carb, 600cfm 4bbl. Anyone have any idea of approximately how much additional HP I'll be bolting on? I think it will help with getting up on plane a little better. Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... 'bout 20 hp,.....

While it's out, drop in a 350,....

LX Kid

Ensign
No Title

Ayuh,..... 'bout 20 hp,.....

While it's out, drop in a 350,....

My engine runs great with the Edlebrock carb I have been using for the past 3-4 years. Just adding the Edlebrock intake. The is clean as a "whistle" inside with no sludge at all. Good compression and no need for engine replacement at this time. Putting new oil pan on as the old one rusted thru. (That is unless you want to loan me about $1800 to "get-R-Done!"

Attachments

• photo274627.jpg
    photo274627.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 0

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I doubt the secondaries will utilized very much or often. A 5 litre turning 5000 rpm uses about 375 cfms. Your engines wot range is 4200 - 4600. Of course if original was too small, then there will be some improvement.
A set of Vortec heads and intake would be your biggest bang for the buck

LX Kid

Ensign
I doubt the secondaries will utilized very much or often. A 5 litre turning 5000 rpm uses about 375 cfms. Your engines wot range is 4200 - 4600. Of course if original was too small, then there will be some improvement.
A set of Vortec heads and intake would be your biggest bang for the buck

Few years ago I had sooooo much trouble with the Carter carb that I put on the Edelbrock carb with adapter plate and all my problems went "away!" Now I found a $40 Edlebrock spread bore intake to mate it to. My old Grady White is a fishing boat not a speed boat and the vortec heads and installation is a little over the top in affordability.

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Edlebrock Brand carbs are almost always what used to be Carter carbs. The 1409 carbs are definitely the former Carter Carbs. I know Edlebrock did sell market a few Q-jets a few years ago, but Q-jets are rated to flow either 750 or 800 cam. Post a pic of your carb please

LX Kid

Ensign
No Title

Edlebrock Brand carbs are almost always what used to be Carter carbs. The 1409 carbs are definitely the former Carter Carbs. I know Edlebrock did sell market a few Q-jets a few years ago, but Q-jets are rated to flow either 750 or 800 cam. Post a pic of your carb please

Well it could have been a Q-jet cause I don't remember what the junk was.

Attachments

• photo275101.jpg
    photo275101.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 0

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The pic is of what used to be a carter.
The Q-jet is actually the most sophisticated carburetor ever engineered and built. It was used on engines as small as 3 litres, and on engines bigger than 8.2 litres. It's fuel curve was infinitely adjustable. A lot of people just won't take the time or make the effort to learn about how it works. Don't think it can't make lots of power, my cousin uses a 750 Q-jet on a 350 in a Super Stock class car, the engine revs past 7500 rpm

LX Kid

Ensign
No Title

photo275070.jpg
The pic is of what used to be a carter.
The Q-jet is actually the most sophisticated carburetor ever engineered and built. It was used on engines as small as 3 litres, and on engines bigger than 8.2 litres. It's fuel curve was infinitely adjustable. A lot of people just won't take the time or make the effort to learn about how it works. Don't think it can't make lots of power, my cousin uses a 750 Q-jet on a 350 in a Super Stock class car, the engine revs past 7500 rpm

My engine go "boom" after 5500 rpm. It was a Q-jet which I rebuilt twice and replaced once with a rebuilt off eBay and it was still junk. Glad, glad, glad it's gone! I have a '24 Grady White fishing scow that runs great. (Once I finish putting new transom in.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...ced-now-w-pics

photo275112.jpg

Attachments

• attach10470812.jpg
    attach10470812.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: