OH MY GOODNESS!

Momboy007

Seaman Apprentice
Hello All,
Well, took the new to me boat out this Weekend and what a nightmare!!!!!
I got the boat launched and fired up, then went to take off, got up on a plain and the boat just bogged and would not start again, looked at the carb and the fuel pump was actually continuing until gas was coming out the top of the carb where the choke butterfly was-way too much gasoline. This boat is a 1997 Celebrity 180 bowrider with a mercruiser 4.3 Litre V-6, it has run flawlessly with the muffs on in the driveway, and when they washed my boat at the dock for some type of mussel, but once in the lake, OH MY GOODNESS, thank God for no fire.
What needs to happen here, the guy I got it from said the carb was rebuilt, but there is obviously a problem, should I just get new carb or have this one rebuilt by someone that knows what they are doing? Or is it the carb at all.

Thanks all in advance for you help
I never want this to happen again

Rick

thumpar

Admiral
Normally the float in the carb rises with the fuel and shuts off the supply to the bowl. Could be the float sunk or broke somehow or the pressure coming in could be too much for the float to shut off. Its pretty easy to pull the bowl off and look there first.

Bondo

Staff member
What needs to happen here, the guy I got it from said the carb was rebuilt, but there is obviously a problem, should I just get new carb or have this one rebuilt by someone that knows what they are doing? Or is it the carb at all.

Ayuh,.... Which carb,..??

4bbl..??

2bbl..??

If 2bbl., is it a TKS system,..??

Btw,.... A rebuilt carb is only rebuilt til ya pump more rotten gas through it,.... Sayin' it's been rebuilt means absolutely Nothin',....

tpenfield

Staff member
Just another instance proving that boats always run great on the muffs, no matter how badly they run on the water. :rolleyes:

I'd be going with a new carburetor and make sure the fuel pump is operating correctly.

Momboy007

Seaman Apprentice
All,
Gas tank has been flushed and runs through the fuel pump clear, I am sure it is no longer the fuel, it is indeed a 2BBL and really ran nice on the Muffs (Just like you said)
Should I purchase a new carb or have it rebuilt by a reputable dealer?
Also, should also mention when I go from running at idle to putting in gear, it died, had to really rev to get it to go, about 5 tries, does it sound like carb?

Thanks again,

Rick

brsox88

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'd check Craigslist, there is usually much more affordable mobile marine mechanics or carb rebuild guys on there that can do it. A rebuild kit is $45 on amazon or similar. Shouldn't take someone who knows what they are doing more than an hour.

Momboy007

Seaman Apprentice
Hello Again all,
So I pulled the carb off today and there was gas all over, I then pulled the oil dip stick and it was about a quart too high, would this be normal with a float bowl stuck, or are my rings shot?

Thanks all,

Rick

tpenfield

Staff member
Hard to say. If you had raw gas flowing into the engine, then that may be the cause.

I am surprised you are still with us after the fountain of gasoline that you described.

A compression test would be worth doing once you buy a new carburetor ( buy a new carburetor) and have the engine running better

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
[QUOTE Shouldn't take someone who knows what they are doing more than an hour.[/QUOTE]
I hate that. At least a 1/2 hour removing, 1/2 hour dissembling, soak/thourghly clean all passages, another hour, reassemble, set the correct float and other settings, re-install, test run, adjust idle and mixture, another 45-1 hour before getting the tools put away. My 2cents.

Momboy007

Seaman Apprentice
If it help Grub, I have already removed the carb and there was still RAW Gas inside the intake manifold
and Yes Tpenfield, it was very scary, was waiting for an accident to happen. Had extinguisher at the ready, trust me

Rick

bheff

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I would go ahead and change the oil. If its a quart high, it could be contaminated with fuel. Rebuild the carb. pay close attention to the float (order a new one) and accelerator pump. I had the same problem and it was just a sticking float.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
If it help Grub, I have already removed the carb and there was still RAW Gas inside the intake manifold
and Yes Tpenfield, it was very scary, was waiting for an accident to happen. Had extinguisher at the ready, trust me

Rick

​Thank's, but when some of our customers complain about how long it takes and make a statement like that, I say then why didn't you do it yourself.... Anyway, I agree it could have ended badly, glad it's going to be ok, A new carb, or a proper rebuild will make it just like old times for ya!

Momboy007

Seaman Apprentice
Carburator Kit rebuild part number

Hello All,
I would like to rebuild my Carburetor on my 1997 Celebrity 180 bow rider, the carburetor has a stamp number of 807764 6Z03, which kit number will I use, I just looked up the kits on this Website and saw both Sierra and Quicksilver, I will be going with the Quicksilver if possible, how do you know which kit to use, can't seem to figure this out??

Thanks,

Rick

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
change the oil - you have a bunch of gas in the oil that is in the motor now.

any carb can be rebuilt......just got to do it properly. Me, i would rather spend the $50 on a carb kit and go thru it myself than spend $400 on a new carb.

Momboy007

Seaman Apprentice
Scott,
I will do it myself, thanks for the encouragement and I will post back with results

Rick

Momboy007

Seaman Apprentice
I just ordered the kit from this Website, and they sold me a Sierra pn 18-7098, does that sound correct to those in the know?

Thanks,

Rick