will 888 drive fit a 260

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
My lower unit on my 260 Mercruiser is cracked & while looking for a replacement locally I ran across an old timer with a 888 drive off of a 302 Ford.
How much of the drive is interchangeable with my 260?
Just the cases?
Everything except the input shaft?
Nothing at all?
Different gear ratios?

Thanks guys
Jim

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
I called Mercruiser once I found a good phone number & they said as long as his 888 is a MC-1 drive like my 260 then it will work.
The gear ratio might be different but he said other than that I should be good to go.

It looks like overhauling the lower unit is going on my "winter project" list. Along with new center dump exhaust manifolds & risers, a silent choice exhaust system, & a new carburetor as well as re-building the sun deck/ engine cover & whatever else I run into.

Thanks. Jim

Bondo

Staff member
How much of the drive is interchangeable with my 260?

Ayuh,.... Go for it, they're the exact same drive,....

Both are MC-1s with 1.50:1 gear ratio, with the same input shafts,....
Only difference is the stickers stuck on 'em,....

Matter of fact, they'll also swap onto an Alpha 1 drive transom assembly,....

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
That's what I found, stickers are different, that's all.
I met this ol' timer at the campground over the weekend & he tells me about his old boat that he junked out but said he kept the "mercruiser piece" that goes in the back.

So when I drive over to his farm to look at it yesterday I find they cut the transom with a sawzall around that "mercruiser piece" & it's all sitting there bolted to a pallet. Engine & all. From pulleys to prop, the whole works. I told him all I really needed was the lower unit & I'd give him $100 for it. He says, well that's seems fair enough but you have to take the whole thing.

So I've got a little 302 that's clean as a whistle for sale.

They winterized it just like they did every winter & it's been in a heated garage since they pulled it out 2 yrs ago. And they are farmers so all maintenance was performed like clockwork & all parts came from the local Napa store.

I usually don't get those "good" deals like that but as they say even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now & then.

Thanks guys.
Jim