Bravo 2 raw water flow

RickM101

Cadet
Hi All: New to the forum and new to Mercruiser stern drives. The Boat I have has a Mercruiser D636 engine and Bravo 2 outdrive. My question is where should the water be coming out of the out drive when I am running the engine off the flush port? The flush port is a garden hose connection at the raw water intake pump. With the engine running I get water coming out of the prop and other places but the majority is coming out of what looks like a port in the gimbal housing. There are 2 of these ports, one on each side of the bottom of the gimbal housing. I only have water coming out the starboard side one. What are these ports for? I cannot find anything related to them in the service manual or on line. Thanks!

RickM101

Cadet
Hi Tpenfield, Yes, Diesel. It is fresh water cooled with raw water through the exchangers. In your video is the water coming out of one side or both? Mine is an inline 6 so only one exhaust riser. Thanks for the video. That is what mine pretty much looks like. Still would like to know how it gets there. I thought that all the water would go out the exhaust bellow through the prop. There is a mention of a raw water by-pass in the manual but not sure what it is or does.

tpenfield

Staff member
The water settles to the bottom of the exhaust pipe as it makes its way down to the lower part of the transom assembly. As it goes through the transom assembly there are 2 side exit holes where the water finds a quick way out. The exhaust for the most part keeps going and exists through the outdrive. As higher RPM more water will tend to ride along with the exhaust and exit the prop.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
They are called idle relief ports, and that is normal

RickM101

Cadet
Thanks Scott. Since I only have water coming out the starboard side is that because I only have one exhaust ?

RickM101

Cadet
Thanks Scott. I could not find this info anywhere but here. You guys and this forum is awesome. Thank you!