Help on a 5.7 merc

Vchat

Recruit
OK so it's my first boat and I'm learning. But with that said I have a 94 chapparral 2130 with a 5.7 350 mercruiser with alpha 1 gen 2 out drive 21 foot... I'm rep,acting as starter right now and had a devil of a time with finding part numbers etc and I'm looking at a carb leaking needs rebuilt or replaced I was surprised to see a 4 barrel on it was told it would probably have a qjet 2barrel so I would like to run the block numbers or some thing to know just what I have cause at this point I'm not sure if it's been replaced or what kind do of carb I have any help on how to find out

bernptl49

Cadet
OK so it's my first boat and I'm learning. But with that said I have a 94 chapparral 2130 with a 5.7 350 mercruiser with alpha 1 gen 2 out drive 21 foot... I'm rep,acting as starter right now and had a devil of a time with finding part numbers etc and I'm looking at a carb leaking needs rebuilt or replaced I was surprised to see a 4 barrel on it was told it would probably have a qjet 2barrel so I would like to run the block numbers or some thing to know just what I have cause at this point I'm not sure if it's been replaced or what kind do of carb I have any help on how to find out

Check the gasket beneath the carb. That 5.7 should have a quadrajet intake manifold but it may have a replacement carb which is not quadrajet(likely Holley). You can pick up the adapter at any auto parts store for around $45-60. Your boat will thank you.

Vchat

Recruit
Mercruiser engine serial number F1 24697 ..the number I found on the carb is 9661s 1093 not sure on the 1093 part hard to read..I have not found anything on either number so far

Bondo

Staff member
.the number I found on the carb is 9661

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Ya got the Merc/ Weber Carter AFB carb,...

Same thing, carbon copy of the Edlebrock Performer 1409,...
Great carb, Easy to build, 'n tune,...
Buy Edlebrock parts,... More choices, 'n Much cheaper,...

Vchat

Recruit
Thank you bonds that is really helpful Ivery got a buddy that does circle track that has a guy that is really good at carbs rebuild this kind I'll give him a try. Does that mean I could have the 350mag motor I have yet to get the block casting number to try to look it up

Bondo

Staff member
Does that mean I could have the 350mag motor I

Ayuh,..... Could be, but you can call it any name ya want,....

I Believe the Magnum just means it's got a 4bbl. carb, 'n the ole Chevy design mid/ hi-rise cast iron manifold,....
In other words, it's more about marketin' than horsepower,....

Vchat

Recruit
I really value yalls opinion so what I would like to ask is what all would you all replace versus perform maintenance on... i.e: gimbal bearing, impeller etc..

Since it's a 20 year old boat and I have zero service records and the old man I bought it from said he kept the engine oil changed is all I know....I don't even know if the engine or out-drive have ever been replaced. I know the old saying, if it ain't broke don't fix it but I'm gonna keep this boat and would like to get ahead of the curve as much as possible for next season.

Thanks all

Last edited by a moderator:

Vchat

Recruit
What I did not throw in the post above is that the engine cranks way to much before starting.... So this issue is the first thing I'm trying to solve. Maybe a carb repair first, Then maybe see about performing a conversation (< meant conversion) from points to electronic ignition system if the carb repair doesn't workout?

harleyman1975

Ensign
Your posts are hard to understand. A combination of auto correct and typing fast I suspect. Perhaps if you stop and read them over to make sure it makes sense to you before you hit send will help them make sense to us. A little punctuation goes a long way sometimes. Welcome to Iboats. Now lets get that thing fixed!

Fun Times

Staff member
Mercruiser engine serial number 0F124697.
Your serial number comes up as an 1994 5.7L MERCRUISER TB4, W/PS, TWO-PC-EX, WORO Model Number 457B100GS ALPHA Stern Drive which the HP is rated to be 235 HP.

Your Merc OEM Service Manual is known as S/M # 17 ...Merc part number 90-8232251 available online at no charge found under boatinfo.com. See all of section 1-B for all your service maintenance interval needs to the engine.

Merc was offering 3 designs of carburetors for these various engine size models as you'll see listed in the following parts guide that's for your engine model but most importantly Bondo is correct being a Weber carb since your carb number says 9661S.

https://www.perfprotech.com/mercury-...g/umodel/23843

5.7L MIE/Alpha (350cid)​

V8​

1992-1997​

4-Barrel - Weber

-​

9661S
9665S​

Y43-289​

$288​

View

http://flyingfishcarburetors.com/Y43...er-Inboard.htm

NHGuy

Captain
My 97 350 Mag had that carb. It also had a roller cam which I believe is an upgrade from the base engine. But I can't tell you how to ID it without removing the intake manifold.