SEI Trim Cylinders

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Planning on replacing both trim cylinders and associated hoses.......boats an '84 and there's a leak.
Anyone use the SEI trim rams for a Mercruiser?
​Price and warranty seem good. Looking for any opinions.......

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I bought and installed one from SEI on my bravo 3 (starboard side only) and have taken it out into the ocean a handful of times and see no leaks or issues.:thumb:

Mark

2fishy4u

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Replaced both port and starboard alpha one drives with new SEI cylinders and hoses. After a year, starboard is still ok, but port side both cylinder seals failed. Drive was stuck in upright position. If you are going in salt water, there stuff does not hold up well at all. The paint is gone in 4 weeks. You will be using that warranty most likely. I also installed a upper SEI drive, and the seals failed after a year. I dock the boat in the water, so take that into consideration also. If you are not leaving your boat in the water you may be ok.

2fishy4u

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I bought the cylinders 16 months ago. Replaced the seals last month. The paint on the cylinders did come off after a month in the water. And is about 80% gone.
The upper drive has been on for 11 months. Just replaced the seals this weekend. Leaking oil into the bellows. The paint did good for 6 months. It's about 20%gone at 11 months.

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Doesn't sound like you would recommend them?
​If you're in salt did you apply antifouling paint?

Last edited:

2fishy4u

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I would not recommend for anyone that keeps there boat in the water. IF your on a trailer, according to all the reviews I have read you should be fine. I did coat them with a anti-corrosion coating. But no antifouling. I don't think It would not have made a difference. The paint they use does not stick well, or I should say the primer did not stick to the metal proper. Even with a coat over the top the paint still would have come off from the monthly cleaning. A soft scrubber was all it took to take paint off the metal after sitting in the water for extended period of time.