VesselView Mobile port location

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi there. So mercury indicates that vesselview is compatible with all smart craft engines post 2003. I have a 2006 5.0 mpi that says smartcraft on the plastic cover on the top. However I'm having trouble locating the port for it. All I've been able to find is a couple of 4 pin connectors. Anyone know if it is in fact compatible and or where the port is?

Alumarine

Captain
Have you checked under the helm?
They may have installed a junction box for it up there.

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have you checked under the helm?
They may have installed a junction box for it up there.

yes, nothing under there. I ended up finding a port towards the back labeled CAN bus. However I tried and the app will connect to the bloothtooth on the module but will error out and say "cannot complete initial setup". Still not 100% I'm on the right port.

Alumarine

Captain
Did you put the terminator you found on the CAN bus onto the spare vesselview port?

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Did you put the terminator you found on the CAN bus onto the spare vesselview port?

Yes I tried both the cap from the can bus and the cap that came with the vesselview. I'm not sure if it's a terminator or just a cap. Both items looked the same. It was purple.

Alumarine

Captain
The purple cap is not a terminator.

The instructions say "part number 859318T1 must be purchased if the engine is not equipped with a yellow terminator"
I've seen pictures of motors with red terminators I think.

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class
The purple cap is not a terminator.

The instructions say "part number 859318T1 must be purchased if the engine is not equipped with a yellow terminator"
I've seen pictures of motors with red terminators I think.

Thats gotta be it. Thanks.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Ok...so...I have been through the exact same thing already with my 2003 5.0 mpi.
Had a few beers so I'll try my best.
First and foremost. You need to buy a yellow terminator cap. No point even going any further until you get this. Later models have one fitted already but we don't. It's just a purple one we have...from memory.
Once you have this;
Best take air filter cover off for best viewing.
If you are facing aft and over the engine, look to the right of the air intake and below...above the rocket cover and between the air inlet throttle body and the exhaust manifold will be a terminal with a purple end on it.
Once found...remove purple terminal cap and plug in one outlet of the VVM module..it will be obvious which one when you see it.
Then you will have one loose end. This is where you put the yellow "terminator cap". Then simply install the VVM module somewhere away out the way of the exhausts and heat...as best you can. Done worry too much about where in the engine bay...mine connect with the phone at least 30ft away from the boat.
Hope this makes sense. If it doesn't, there is a much better explanation on one of the maxum or searay websites. I'll find it for you if need be.
Overall, it's a superb piece of kit. So handy for fuel consumption and true rpms to get the prop spot on. Also a really cool gadget.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
It looks like this, but you only need the yellow bit in reality. I had to buy the whole thing...you may need to too. The yellow bit literally says "terminator" on it.
Without this, it won't work.

Attachments

• IMG_3295.PNG
    IMG_3295.PNG
    344.4 KB · Views: 1