Do I need to trim my shift cable core?

olazabel

Petty Officer 3rd Class
470 with mc1 - looking at manual#2, pg 55 it says the core should stick out exactly 1 3/8" from the cable guide insert. My new cable core is sticking out 2 3/4"....

I'm attaching a few pics.

The instructions that came with the cable say not to cut the core, but then mention that it might be necessary

Do I need to cut it? Or am I screwed up somewhere else?

Attachments

• photo274433.jpg
    photo274433.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo274434.jpg
    photo274434.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo274435.jpg
    photo274435.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 0

olazabel

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I did just notice that the instructions that came with the cable are for "alpha sterndrives" while mine is a mercruiser one. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

alldodge

Staff member
Your paper says it should be 72 1/8 total length and is pre cut. If (the big IF) the cable is mixed up with old style cables the look at the figure and cut to fit. My first guess is there has been many made and I'm almost certain there is nothing that needs to be cut. If (another if) it does not work correctly and all adjustments are made correctly, then and only then can the piece be removed and the cable cut.

In manual 6 here is the install part

Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

olazabel

Petty Officer 3rd Class
thanks dodge. I was going to pull it out and measure it, but I've had problems feeding the core all the way through the "sheath" before so I haven't pulled it back out yet.

The problem is that the amount of core that is sticking out now is too long, and won't allow me to get the required 6" distance from the middle of the brass barrel to the middle of the hole in the black plastic piece on the end of the shift cable.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
That is if your using the old style cable and ond type inner core. If your cable uses the thin guide over the inner cable then you have to follow the directions
If you got a later model control cable that screws in from the aft side of the gimbal, then no cutting required

olazabel

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I think I did buy the old style. It screwed in from the engine side of the gimbal housing, and the little plastic tube pointed out toward the propeller through a smaller hole.

I didn't want to have to re-tap the hole, and was replacing the gimbal bearing and bellows anyway, so had the housing off.

Doctur, you sent me a core a few years ago, and I don't remember needing to trim it.

I was going to reassemble the drive so I could put pressure on the prop before I adjusted the cable, but then realized the core was sticking out too far.

olazabel

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I pulled the core out and compared it to the old core, the new one is shorter than the old one, and no where near 72 1/8" as specified.

I guess I'll reassemble the drive, try to follow the directions for adjustment, and go from there.

Doctur- Am I using the "old style" cable which might require cutting?

olazabel

Petty Officer 3rd Class
the cable I ordered was sierra 18-2248 (replaces merc: 73723A1)

olazabel

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I ended up trimming the core. I couldn't get down to the 6" between the brass barrel and hole in the black plastic piece without cutting it. I followed the directions in manual #2, cut it down to 1 3/8 sticking out with boat in full forward. I now have solid reverse, solid drive, and smooth idle in neutral.....at least on land. I'm hoping to test it out in the lake tomorrow. Thanks for the help and suggestions.