Shavings on the plug ... again

zul

Petty Officer 1st Class
My old outdrive took a strike and I had shavings on it each time I checked. The top cap of the upper portion of the outdrive had some corrosion on it. So we thought the upper gears had some problems overheating and leading to those shavings. So I went for the more expensive, total fix.

I've had the mechanic install a new gimbel, grease everything up and an entire new outdrive. Loaded up the gear oil and ran a few trips.

Now I'm noticing the same whit/grey discoloration on the top cap. Dropped the plug and found another wad of shavings.

This is beyond frustrating ... Any ideas are welcome. I'm headed back to the mechanic to see what he might think.

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
Take it back to your mechanic & see what he says about fixing it correctly // Consider a a new Sei out drive drive if the charges get anywhere close to the cost of a new drive.

R055

Chief Petty Officer
Is the new outdrive an sei drive? Those got a 2 or 3 year no fault warranty. Hope much shaving was there?

zul

Petty Officer 1st Class
Brand new SEI drive, full of shavings. Heartbroken.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Post a picture of the plug. And contact Justin at SEI. He will fix you up. Get warranty coverage and go back to boating.

zul

Petty Officer 1st Class
On my origional outdrive, I was having these same problems (plus water in the lube). After the shaft goes into the gimbal, what other mechanism could cause this?

I spent many hours breaking it in. Several hours on regular trips. No strange noises, normal running stats, no problems.

Hmmm???

wahlejim

A few shavings are expected in a new outdrive as it wears in. Change the gear lube, run it again and see if more shavings are present. If there are more, contact SEI, they cover everything with their outdrives.

How is the gear lube filled? Should be filled from the bottom up to avoid air pockets.

How is the engine alignment?

Is the discoloration from the water or is it working its way from the inside out?

zul

Petty Officer 1st Class
Mechanic has alignment tool and I believe he took his time to align.
Lube is pumped bottom up.
The Lube came out a nice color, same as it went in 50 engine hours ago.
The discolor is on the black exterior paint of the upper drive. Like that metal is getting HOT !! Like the heat is changing the paint into a metallic coating.

I know that they make 'water coolers' for you upper outdrive and I should get one. But does that solve the problem? I am ready to be done and go boating.

Thanks Crew!!

R055

Chief Petty Officer
If your outdrive is getting so hot that its discolor in the outside paint, it needs to be sent in for warranty work.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
It's typical an alpha can get water deposits on the upper, almost like peeling clear coat on a car . Upper part of drive is out of the water when planning so it can get hotter than lower and leave water deposits. There is only a small oil passage between the two so the oil doesn't circulate per se

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Forgot to say if the lube is a nice color I wouldn't worry about it. Can you post a picture of the drive discoloration?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
SEI is known for poor paint, it's all over the interweb. That said, absolutely great warranty and they back it up I've been told by several boat mechanics. A few shavings is normal on break in, how much do you have - did you take pics?

I did get the drive shower just because. I've had my SEI for 4 years (second boat with one on it) no issues overall.

zul

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is my origional Merc drive ... (click image to enlarge, I hope!)

zul

Petty Officer 1st Class
New Drive (SEI 116). The paint is chipping and flaking off .... I just noticed that the discoloration wipes off, kind of smears away. The lake I run in is fresh water but has a lot of Calcium in it. So I am beginning to think that lake water sprays up onto the upper, evaporates away (from some heat ... acceptable amount of heat??) and leaves behind the Calcium as this deposit.

That's my latest thinking. Thanks for all the ideas, it's helped me get to this point.

So, load the lube and do some boating?? Of course, I'll check that plug for more shavings. Uggg, I do not like shavings on the plug. Maybe every 10-20 engine hours or between trips?

Last edited:

zul

Petty Officer 1st Class
Plug ... After 8-10 hours of idle / break-in and 35 hours running on the lake (mostly cruising, very little WOT)

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
If the amount diminishes over time i think you are fine but I'm not the expert. There is a reason to break in and you have the evidence right there.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
That looks within normal break in range to me. I would fill er up and keep running. In another 10 hours you can pull the plug and look at shavings again without changing the lube. You should see it taper off to nearly nothing.

TyeeMan

Put a good coat of marine wax on your drive, install a drive shower and you'll be fine.

About 10 years ago I bought a boat that had a brand new SEI drive on it. Looked really nice, operated with no issue, , just a little louder gear whine at closed throttle speed but was told that was normal. I thought it was great! That said, yeah the paint was pretty but if you chipped it, it'll keep on chipping.

I would get another one if I had to by all means.