82 mercruiser 228, strange problem

LX Kid

Ensign
I see 5 bolts for old style, but do note this is old style 3 piece exahust

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Just what I needed to see. I'm going to use a rotary cutoff wheel and take the head off.

Josephmcg

Seaman
That's awesome, good information... going to mess with my boat tomorrow afternoon and I will be back with updates on what I find/try, wish me luck as I'm sure I will need it, want to thank everyone again for the great information and kind words, keep it coming!

Josephmcg

Seaman
So after messing with a few things on the boat, I called the previous owner who is a marine mechanic, and he informed me the shift cables are all brand new and greased correctly, says my problem is the points and that he is sending me a thunderbolt iv electronic distributor set up, once I get that installed (tonight) I will post my results, thanks again guys

kenny nunez

Captain
No hot start. Just to be sure get your volt meter and connect it to the + side of the coil then have some one start the engine and check how much voltage is present when cranking. There should be at least 12 volts in cranking mode and around 8 volts running. Then do the same test after the boat has ran for some time. If there is low voltage in cranking mode the by pass circuit from the starter solenoid is dead.
Another thing that breaker point systems on boats do get very hot so much that the rotor will go to ground and stall the engine when slowing down from plane.
Adding the Thunder bolt ignition should help. Be sure to put Never Seize on the small screws that secure the distributor cap as they tend to rust .

Josephmcg

Seaman
Hey guys sorry I haven't responded been working like an animal, but anyways, I switched out the old points distributor, for a thunderbolt iv electronic distributor. Ever since then the boat has been great!