Lower shift cable core won't go in

sikemd

Cadet
I'm in the process of installing a new lower shift cable. I *had* the outer cable installed and tightened and couldn't get the core to go in apparently due to the slight bend in the outer cable where it is routed upward just after entering the transom and then to the starboard side. I took the outer cable back off and tried to reroute it to be straighter but I think the way I had it the first time was the only way. Pain in the butt getting that cable screwed in too... sad.

I tried to straighten it best as possible while a friend tried to push it in but it just didn't seem like it was possible to get it in. Is there a secret to this or something, or does it just take a lot of force and finagling? I looked in the manual and it isn't very specific "install the cable" is pretty much what it says.

Any advice appreciated! Thanks.

While I'm here, my bellows look and feel fine other than a few barnacles, but there was a small bit of water in my u-joint bellow. The gimbal and u-joints are both in great shape and no corrosion anywhere in the drive where there shouldn't be. I think maybe the water got in last year when the boat filled up during a big rain before I reinstalled a float for the bilge and has just been sitting in there, but I don't know. I figure if there was a leak or puncture there would be much more water and lot's of corrosion. Replacing the bellows seems like a whole another horrific job to complete so I'd prefer not to replace them if it isn't necessary.

sikemd

Cadet
I guess I left out some key information here. It's a 1993 alpha one gen 2 paired with merc 5.0.

sikemd

Cadet
Thanks, re-routed it that way... I guess at least, can't see anything but it's not routed upward anymore. Got the cable to go in fully too. The new cable end had sharp edges so I rounded those off a little bit with a sander and I think that made a big the big difference.