lower shift cable question

olazabel

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1978 mercruiser 470, with mc-1 outdrive (i think).

I bought a lower shift cable kit, and was trying to just replace the lower shift cable core, but couldn't get the new core to slide through the old sheath. Then decided to do it right and change the whole cable, but.....

The sheath for the cable i bought screws in to the front of the gimble housing, and my old cable looks like it screws in from the back where the bellows are. I haven't removed the old cable yet (but did pull out the core)

Did I buy the wrong cable?

How do I remove the old cable that screws in from the back?

olazabel

Petty Officer 3rd Class
thanks marc.

so i should just cut the old cable sheath off from the back so i can get a socket on the nut to remove it, then tap the hole from the front for the new cable?

bbook83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The old style cable that screws in as your old one does is still available. Its Sierra # 18-2248, Mercruiser #73723A01. I bought and installed one within the last year.

Alumarine

Captain
If it's not too late, make sure to either note the routing of the cable or attach a line to it when you pull it out to act as an aid to installing the new one.

olazabel

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I ended up ordering the old style cable, new gimbal bearing, and a bellows kit. I put the new bearing in, and am ready to start putting everything back together.

I've been looking but haven't been able to find the best order for installing the shift cable, shift cable bellows, exhaust bellows, and u-joint bellows....

I can already tell its going to be a pain, but which order is the easiest for putting it all back together?

bbook83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I was doing this job, Boatdoctor gave this response to the "order" question:

I usually install the water hose on the transom side first,install the bellows on the gimbal side , install exaust bellow on transom,
apply the adhesive to the bellows and slide it into place and clamp on the transom side.. install the water hose to the gimbal side. install exaust to the gimbal side

For me, the toughest part was keeping the water hose (which I had replaced) out of the way of the u-joint bellows. Be sure to use the bellows cement he mentions.