Shift bellow is bad, cable has to be replaced with it?

brsox88

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was going to have the timing and engine alignment by a local mobile marine guy since I don't have either of those tools and thought I would just have him take care of the bad shift bellow at the same time. He said you need to replace the shift cable at the same time. Is this true? I have replaced the bellows on a boat years ago and don't recall having to replace the shift cable. Don't you just unhook the shift cable from the stern drive and slide it out the back of the stern drive, then slide the new boot on an repeat the steps in reverse?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
In most cases when it comes time to replace a bellow ,its time to change the cable too.But if yours is in good condition then you can change just the bellow

nola mike

Vice Admiral
The thought is that if your bellows was leaking, it's corroded the cable as well. That said, the newer cables are coated with plastic in a plastic sheath, so less likely to corrode. Last time I had water in there from a leaky shift shaft seal I removed the cable, blew the water out of the line with compressed air and replaced.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
The thought behind it is everything is apart already and it is a wearable part. It is cheaper and easier to do at this time because it adds 10 minutes of work + the cost of the cable. I do mine every other bellow replacement unless it is acting funny.