Shift cable trouble

I have a mc-1 outdrive model number 4186702. The problem im having is that the shifter will not go into reverse, it appears to go into drive ok but seems to bind up going into reverse... If i disconnect the lower shift cable the shifter functions properly... I have adjusted the lower shift cable to get the six inches while pushing in on the cable, the drive locks as if its in drive ,but that didnt seem to help. I removed the drive to see if the problem was in the drive, and got the same result. The drive appears to operate correctly, but shifter still will not go into reverse... Any help wiuld be appreciated.

With the lower shift cable disconnect fro the linkage and with the drive off the cable operates smoothly with little drag... This mc- drive has had the alpha 1 lower shift cable conversion done at some point before i got the boat.. Could it possibly have the wrong cable installed? Too short maybe..... I am an automotive mechanic for over 20 years, so i have a great understanding of how things work generally.. But this is my first inboard boat... Theres obviously something im overlooking, or i need more understanding about the linkages used.... At a loss..

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
The new style cable installs from the rear and no more than 2 threads visable .The shift slide should go all the way in to the housing .Sometimes crud gets inside the slide and prevents it from going in all the way and will trip the shift interupter. with the prop shaft between your legs and the input shaft "standing proud" On the drive the brass lower shoe should face in a straight line in fwd and turn counterclockwise for reverse