1985 Mercruiser 140 fuel problem

jmm0254

Cadet
New here and hoping there is someone that can help. Picked up a 1985 Barteeta I/O Mercruiser 140. This boat was stored inside for 25 years, was purchased new in 1985. Was done properly for storage, water drained, new oils, etc. Put in a new battery, muffs for water, oil is like new, new gas, etc. Turned her over, started immediately. Ran for about a minute or less, chugged along a bit and died. Tried to start again, fired but did not run, just turns over and does not fire at all. Removed the fuel line into the fuel pump, no fuel in the line I can see or barely smell. Took out the pump filter, not even wet. I am assuming there is not a kill switch I can find anywhere, I also assume this is only a mechanical fuel pump without any type of electric pump. As the boat has been sitting for 25 years, I am thinking that the fuel pump is the main problem? The person I got the boat from, did unhook the fuel tank line and used a gas can to feed fuel into the fuel pump. The engine ran like new for the time there was gas fed into the pump. I think possibly the reason it started for me for a minute was that there was still some fuel remaining in the pump or fuel line to the carb? And wondering if it would be best to try to locate the fuel pump or install an electric pump in its' place? I have attached 2 pictures of the pump. When I look for a replacement fuel pump, the pics I see show that mine is installed upside down, with the filter and bowl at the top of the pump? Is this correct?Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Joe in St Charles IL.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... Sounds more like a fuel tank problem,......

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

its been sitting for 25 years.....all the crud that was in the tank became dried crud.....you added gas and didnt clean the tank. the gas loosened all the crud which is now plugging the inlet fitting filter and the passages inside the tank.

jmm0254

Cadet
Any suggestions on getting to the inlet fitting filter? Is it accessible without tearing up the entire floor?

alldodge

Staff member
Your pics did post

Here is a link to your motor
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/140-gm-181-i-l4-1982-1986-6229718-thru

This is your fuel pump (item 1) and yes it is installed up right, and is the old design. The pump is no longer available but the filter and seal are (items 2 and 3)
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/subassembly/30893/963/110

Fuel pump was replaced on newer engines to the one in this link which puts the filter under the pump
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/subassembly/30893/963/120

That said, as Scott mentioned, you need to clean and flush the tank. To get it running for now, run it from a gas can

jmm0254

Cadet
How do I get to the gas tank and the inlet fitting and filter? Do I have to take up the carpeting and floor?
Thankyou for your great response! All so very helpful. Joe.

alldodge

Staff member
How do I get to the gas tank and the inlet fitting and filter? Do I have to take up the carpeting and floor?
Thankyou for your great response! All so very helpful. Joe.

Don't know but some pics of that model show an access panel in the floor. The filter is part of the fuel pump and not in the tank (click on links above in other post). There would be an antisiphon valve on the tank that the rubber fuel line is connected to. The valve is a ball and spring inside it which can get clogged up.
image_171450.jpg

jmm0254

Cadet
Thanks, I'll look for that, currently it may be covered by the carpeting or I may need to cut out.... yikes..... may end up with a big hole in the floor and in the wrong place.... I can see the gas line hose goes around on the left side of this pic but after it dissapears into the side pocket, I can't tell where it feeds to.

jmm0254

Cadet
I finally found it! At the bow. The anti-siphon valve was frozen shut. I have ordered a new one, another fuel pump, gasket and filter set. Thanks for all your help and direction.

jmm0254

Cadet
Ok, I did find the gas tank fuel line and purchased a new anti siphon valve. Actually in the front of the boat. Now the problem is that with this valve removed, I want to pump out the tank and clean it properly. I attached a picture of the remaining tank connections. I can't get these loose. It is the 45-degree angle and a larger nut. There is absolutely nothing coming from these when I try to siphon with a hose hooked to the connection with the anti siphon off. There must be a screen or something that is clogged. PROBLEM.. I can not get these off. I have been able to loosen the larger outside nut but the angled gas line hookup will not budge. Is there a certain way these unscrew? It is a plastic tank and I am afraid to crack the hole where these are attached. I have used some nut buster stuff to soak it in for 8+ hours, nothing. I put some gas into this angle threaded and it does not flow down so it is definitely clogged. I used a plumbers wrench and it just bent the handle. Space is limited to get into this. I also attached an air compressor to this and applied 165 lbs pressure, nothing. If I can't get this off at all, can I plug it for good and cut in a new one? Thanks

Attachments

• tank gif.gif
    tank gif.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Applied 165 psi and it did not break thru, that is really stuck. The pic you posted is so small I can see nothing from it. Can you try to post a pic of a bit larger size?

jmm0254

Cadet
No Title

Ok, I did find the gas tank fuel line and purchased a new anti siphon valve. Actually in the front of the boat. Now the problem is that with this valve removed, I want to pump out the tank and clean it properly. I attached a picture of the remaining tank connections. I can't get these loose. It is the 45-degree angle and a larger nut. There is absolutely nothing coming from these when I try to siphon with a hose hooked to the connection with the anti siphon off. There must be a screen or something that is clogged. PROBLEM.. I can not get these off. I have been able to loosen the larger outside nut but the angled gas line hookup will not budge. Is there a certain way these unscrew? It is a plastic tank and I am afraid to crack the hole where these are attached. I have used some nut buster stuff to soak it in for 8+ hours, nothing. I put some gas into this angle threaded and it does not flow down so it is definitely clogged. I used a plumbers wrench and it just bent the handle. Space is limited to get into this. I also attached an air compressor to this and applied 165 lbs pressure, nothing. If I can't get this off at all, can I plug it for good and cut in a new one? Thanks

Attachments

• photo273476.jpg
    photo273476.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
To copy and past the same pic and comment does us no good

jmm0254

Cadet
No Title

I keep getting the error that the pictures I am trying to upload (jpg) are of the wrong file type and will not be uploaded. This is NOT my tank but still, shows the same type although on a metal tank. Look at the one with the hose on and the one below. Ths is the type of fitting, I realize these are pretty much on every permanent tank on every boat. I can loosen the large nut but that is not what I need. The 45-degree angle that the anti siphon valve screws into. Sorry if past attempts to upload pictures doubled the same small ones, but this is a bit limited for uploading.

Attachments

• photo273482.jpg
    photo273482.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
OK, if you can remove the plug, but cannot remove the fitting with the fuel line on. Find out if the one which the plug was removed has a tube which goes to the bottom of the tank. If it does, install a 90 degree fitting and another anti siphon valve and attached fuel line to it. Then plug the other line

tank.jpg

jmm0254

Cadet
Think you missed the fact that this is NOT a picture of my tank.You said my picture was too small to see. I sent you this in order to visualize the type of fitting I can not get off. Look at the one below the one with the hose still on. AGAIN... this is NOT my tank picture.
I have only one of these fittings on my plastic tank and I have the fuel line off and the anti siphon off. I can not get the 45 degree angled fitting off that the anti siphon fitting screws into.

alldodge

Staff member
Think you missed the fact that this is NOT a picture of my tank.You said my picture was too small to see. I sent you this in order to visualize the type of fitting I can not get off. Look at the one below the one with the hose still on. AGAIN... this is NOT my tank picture.
I have only one of these fittings on my plastic tank and I have the fuel line off and the anti siphon off. I can not get the 45 degree angled fitting off that the anti siphon fitting screws into.

Sorry didn't see a large nut so assumed this is what you meant.

I can loosen the large nut but that is not what I need. The 45-degree angle that the anti siphon valve screws into