Shift Cable behavior while adjusting

JoeEE

Recruit
I have a 1991 3.0L with Alpha One. The shift cable were not attached when I bought it, so I did the whole procedure of measuring the 6", having someone hold the prop, etc. But while adjusting everything I seem to only get reverse and neutral, or neutral and forward. The more forward or backward I adjust things it sort of bounces between giving me either back/neutral, or forward/neutral. When spinning the prop as outlined in the many guides available sometimes I can get the 'clunk clunk' sound, but never all 3. Is there something I'm missing for adjustment?

So far I've measured the 6" and spun the brass trunion either forward up to 4 spins, or backward. I've also adjusted the small nut that attaches the shift lever to either a bit more forward, or back. I feel like I've gotten really close to adjusting it correctly, but can't quite get it right. This is just sitting on the trailer in the driveway, with the leg lowered down, then lifted back up slightly.

Any help on the actual adjustment would be really appreciated. I feel as though I've exhausted the many guides but for whatever reason I can't get my drive to behave correctly in all 3 positions.

The guide I were using the most was > http://marine-engines.wikia.com/wiki/Adjusting_your_shift_cables

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Any idea how old those cables are? They might be worn out, which might also be the reason they were disconnected. Others will be along to comment, too.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
most likely the cables need replacing

JoeEE

Recruit
Thanks guys, I'm going to swap the cable today. Before I did that though I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something else I were missing.