Mercruiser 3.0 2007 should i be worried about the sound it's making?

anddah

Cadet
I uploaded a clip where i tried to capture the sound my engine is making and I would appreciate a bit of help to analyze the sound. Should I be worried or is this standard? If there could be something wrong where should I start to check?

https://youtu.be/I61LtAg_4Ao

Thank you for your help :)

alldodge

Staff member
That doesn't sound good. What does your oil look like and what is the oil pressure?

anddah

Cadet
Thank you for your help. Went to the boat and checked and it is about 30 psi at idle and 40 when I use the throttle.

The oil is new and it looks fine. I did however have a water leak at the manifold a couple of years ago but have changed the oil many times since then.

hoowahfun

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did however have a water leak at the manifold a couple of years ago but have changed the oil many times since then.

Did you ever fix the leak and find out what caused it in the first place? If not then it could be a growing problem you're hearing...

alldodge

Staff member
Suggest removing the valve cover and see what the rocker arms look like. Is if they are tight

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Mmm.
Really hard to tell from video, but they are noisy tappy sounding engines. Especially from the top end.
Any decent Merc mechanic would be able to tell you if it's the standard noise you are hearing.
Normal for the top end valve gear to sound noisy on these. Even brand new.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
It's more of a ticking noise normally though. Video might suggest a knock. Hard to tell.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Does it go away or lessen with some revs ?
What oil are you using ? 30psi is maybe a bit low. Is this when it's cold at 30psi ? If so, probably low.
Does the oil smell of petrol ? Often people run their engines at Tick over at the marina etc to charge the batteries. This isn't great. It tends to allow un combusted petrol down the bores and into the sump, because the engine isn't running at proper temperature.
Just a few thoughts.

anddah

Cadet
I don't think it the valves it's not the ticking noise that I'm used to it's more of a diesel sound or knocking.

My feeling is that it's originating from the block. Will check the oil and the pressure again.

Yes the pressure was when it was cold. What should it be?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
30 psi is apparently just in range, but I'm not sure I've ever seen that low when cold. 40 psi min is what I would be used to seeing with good oil.
It will maybe drop off a touch after a run and bringing back to idle, but not much.
Have a look at the oil.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Pull the drive and run it with a water hose stuffed into the bell housing water passage. Then pull belts off and run again to see if sound changes. Do a compression check. Good to have a baseline.

bentle

Chief Petty Officer
From the sound I'm hearing on your video it does sound like a loose rocker, a rod should have a bit deeper knock and stay pretty consistent in sound. To me yours sounds a bit inconsistent and more of a light ticking sound, going off the video sound anyways.

anddah

Cadet
I was at the boat again look at the oil level a tiny bit to much oil in it so I fixed that. Warmed it up and took it up for a few minutes to get it warm and then a new video.

The oil is all new don't know what type got it during the service that I did just before the first video.

The header is newly served and the rockers should be set right (could be wrong). The sound was there before everything was done.

the oil pressure is the same about 30 at idle and then 40 when i rev the engine.

thank you everyone for all the input