Mercruiser 190 ground smoking

bayliner09

Seaman
So here is what's going on I purchased a boat from a guy who said it hadn't run in a couple years it has A 3.7 L MerCruiser took it home found radiator fluid in the cylinder took the head off broke the Pistons free re-lapped The valves and reassembled the head on the motor after manual turning the crank to pump oil through the motor I put spark plugs in and proceeded to try to start the motor but the ground started smoking the motor just lopped not really turning over every once in a while it would pick up and spin a little bit faster but for the most part just loped and the ground smoked I'm just at a loss of what to do I hooked another ground to the battery and the motor in a different area and that one started to smoke instead of the first ground with both grounds attached at the same time what else could it be since the motor turns over with just a socket on a wrench it can't be seized

Bondo

Staff member
but the ground started smoking the motor just lopped not really turning over every once in a while it would pick up and spin a little bit faster but for the most part just loped and the ground smoked I'm just at a loss of what to do I hooked another ground to the battery and the motor in a different area and that one started to smoke instead of the first ground with both grounds attached at the same time

Ayuh,.... With electricity, Smoke equals Heat, which equals resistance, 'n high load,....

So,... The starter is drawin' Alota amperage, 'n the grounds are corroded/ dirty,....

bayliner09

Seaman
I figured the grounds were probably corroded or something that's why I used a second and even a third ground using jumper cables but still smoke and poor turn over do you think I need to trash the starter

kenny nunez

Captain
The starter is probably one of the 1st types that always was a problem. There was a kit that came with a pair of studs to convert from the Prestolite to the Delco type. If there is a rebuild shop in your area someone may know about them. Also a Mercruiser dealer that has been around for some time.

bayliner09

Seaman
Found the problem it's a bad ground I hooked three grounds from two battery's and got it to stop smoking and turn over normally now o need to figure out why I don't have spark

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
No spark, most of the time is bad points. Replace them. Also replace the impeller in the outdrive, critical in a 470 type engine.

2fishy4u

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes if this has been sitting for so long you MUST replace the impeller. These motors are hell if you overheat them. And the impeller is the most common culprit.

bayliner09

Seaman
New problem yes another one when I went to fill the reservoir with coolant as fast as I can pour it it comes out the exhaust elbow right out under the outdrive do I have a major leak in the reservoir and how is that possible when it's filled with coolant it's not like it could've frozen any ideas thanks guys

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Yes, it could have frozen. The heat exchanger is still cooled with fresh water, and if not drained/winterized properly it will freeze, and break the tubes inside. :blue:

bayliner09

Seaman
It's not coming from the heat exchange that I can tell yet it's just flowing straight out th back of the reservoir assembly through the exhaust elbow and out of the boat that's what's weird to me because raw water couldn't pool in the exhaust elbow could it?

2fishy4u

Petty Officer 3rd Class
If you are filling your reservoir and the coolant is exiting out your exhaust. It most likely in the riser or manifold. And you could be filling your cylinders at the same time if its pouring that freely. Risers fail from rust and age. I have had 3 failures on 2 engines in 3 years (sea water). Did you figure out why the cylinders had fluid in the first place?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Yeah the gasket can fail and antifreeze flows into the exhaust, and it can get into the cylinders.

bayliner09

Seaman
I suspect the impeller seals are out looked under water pump and found JB Weld gummed all over the Weep hole

kenny nunez

Captain
Replacing the water pump seals is a pretty tough job without the right tools. You will also have th install a "speedy sleeve" over the shaft where the seals ride. When reinstalling the crankshaft balancer do not beat on it or you will dislodge the magnets . You will need a real Mercruiser service manual .

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
If you Have room for a harmonic balancer puller to pull the rotor, you will not need to lift the engine. But you do need to open up that weep hole.

bayliner09

Seaman
I have a lot of tools also have a original manual and I have dislodged the jb weld already I expected to do the seals if the motor still has good compression and the water leakage I sent to much of it is then I'll be sending it down the trail I'll keep you guys posted thanks

bayliner09

Seaman
Well I feel stupid I was using the gasket they gave me which had three slots cut out when I only needed the one so when I poured any freeze in the reservoir it flowed write out the exhaust so I've got that fixed will update with any other issues thanks guys