5.0lx thermostat housing

newtoboat101

Petty Officer 1st Class
1988 5.0lx mercruiser ,my boat has thermostat housing on it that does not match exhaust manifolds ,looks like manifold have been cut off(plugged off) and thermostat housing is different type or vice versa,and when i start motor / muffs exhaust manifold gets awful hot , i think i need to get new thermostat housing that has check balls on it to hook up additional hoses, what are check balls for ,or should i get without check balls any ideas or maybe a pic of 5.0 with same exhaust manifold check my pics to see my set up

Attachments

• photo271662.jpg
    photo271662.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo271663.jpg
    photo271663.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo271664.jpg
    photo271664.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 1

newtoboat101

Petty Officer 1st Class
also need to add that i have a seawater pickup that for some reason is not hooked up to anything ,i have a feeling that the motor had a closed water system ,and thats the reason for that exhaust manifold i have and they added thermostat housing in pic and took all closed water system out (?)idk

alldodge

Staff member
Does look like a cheap hatchet job but there is nothing wrong with the setup that I can see. Water feeds thru the manifold and into the riser then out the exhaust. I would suggest checking you impeller.

The seawater pickup could have been for something else, or could have feed the motor with a belt driven pump.

Is it an Alpha drive?

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
agree, whats there should be ok .as long as the impeller in the drive is in good condition

alldodge

Staff member
With a new drive your impeller should be good. Need to look for a restriction which is causing the lack of water flow.

newtoboat101

Petty Officer 1st Class
gonna put outdrive in bucket instead of muffs to check water flow and heat on exhaust manifold ,thanx all dodge