mercruiser 260 fuel line

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys
I have not been on in a while as my boats have not been giving me any troubles. Knock on wood.

I picked up a boat a couple weeks ago that unfortunately has a 4 yr old dealer installed repower with 35 Hts on it that the dim wit who winterized it 3 yrs ago left the nut off the flame arrestor & left the arrestor top halfway on & water got in & you know the rest of the story....

Anyways as I'm pulling it apart I notice it does not have the see thru fuel line going from the pump to the carb like my 140 has & most others I've seen.

It does however have a see thru line going from the carb (it is tapped into the front of the fuel bowl above the inlet & was just hanging down the front of the engine to drip into the bilge. Well, if it didn't have a bolt shoved into it it would drip into the bilge.

Is this how this is supposed to be set up?

It doesn't look like there is any place on the fuel pump to connect a sight line & it should not go to the fuel bowl anyways should it?

It has the correct carb on it. In fact it is a new "quicksilver repower" carb. The fuel pump & starter were put on new & I believe to be the correct part # as well.

All the fuel lines are factory hard lines as they should be. Nothing seems to have been monkeyed around with other than this line from the float bowl???

Thanks
Jim

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the line is supposed to go from the mechanical fuel pump vent to the carb.

however if you have an electric pump, then you dont need the clear line to the carb

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
That's how every other one I've seen has been.

My fuel pump is Sierra part # 18-7274 & the flange ID # is 41421

It has a port in the piece that's sandwiched between the upper & lower housings that currently has an old glass sediment bowl looking thing on it which is plugged on its outlet. Is this where the sight line hooks to the pump? Take the sediment bowl off & put the sight line on there?

Thanks Scott
Jim

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Somewhere on your pump - if it is a marine pump - there will be a port for the overflow tube. It is there in case the diaphragm ruptures on the fuel pump. Like this set up:

DSCF8572.jpg

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
Fishermark, I can't view that image it says I'm not allowed to 3rd party host on photobucket. Whatever that means????

Anyways, I'm familiar with how most fuel pumps are set up with the vent plumbed into the top of the housing. That's how my 140 is but this pump doesn't have the vent in the top. It only has a port Coming out of the middle section & it has a glass bowl thing hooked up to it but that is plugged on the outlet side. Not even sure what that is or if it was a factory item or not but the only place I can hook the vent to the pump is that port so I guess that must be where it goes. I've got some schematics on my PC I'll check that out when I get home.
Thanks a bunch!
Jim

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
OK somewhere once upon a time I found some schematics from Mercruiser & I downloaded a copy to my PC.
It shows my set up with either having a sight tube or a sight bowl. Which is the silly little glass thing hooked to my fuel pump.
So I guess ill need to take my fuel pump apart & drill & tap the upper housing for a fitting to connect a sight tube to?
Who's going to get a mirror to look down there & check that "sight bowl" ever let alone on any kind of regular basis.
If the pump pukes & starts putting fuel in to the sight tube it floods & stalls your motor right? Forcing you to figure out what's going on? At least that's how I understood it to be.
Anyways, I don't like this sight bowl set up so I suppose I'll drill the pump housing to connect a tube to the carb.
I always seem to get the crazy oddball stuff to deal with.
Oh well, such is life, I suppose.

Thanks guys.
Jim

Bondo

Staff member
It shows my set up with either having a sight tube or a sight bowl. Which is the silly little glass thing hooked to my fuel pump.
So I guess ill need to take my fuel pump apart & drill & tap the upper housing for a fitting to connect a sight tube to?

Naw,... Just remove the glass sight bowl, 'n screw a hose barb into it's hole, then add the tygon tubin' to the flame arrester,....

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
OK thats good that I can connect to the pump where that sight glass is connected now.

Hook it to the flame arrestor instead of the barbed fitting that goes into the float bowl on the carb?

Bondo

Staff member
Hook it to the flame arrestor instead of the barbed fitting that goes into the float bowl on the carb?

Huh,..?? Never seen a fittin' in the float bowl,...

Into the venturi, Sure,... Use that 1,...

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah I had never seen one into the float bowl neither but this is the first Q-jet marine carb I've fooled with too.
I guess if the pump starts puking fuel into the float bowl it will flow out the overflow/vent tube & straight into the venturi anyways.
Thanks.
I'm compiling my list of things to get to put this ol' girl in the water. Hopefully get the new engine in this weekend if my cam come in that is.
I'm sure I'll have more questions for you guys. I'll also try to figure out how to post pics so I can put some up.
Thanks again everyone!
Jim.

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
FYI,
I just checked my Sierra catalog & carb #18-7615N has the exact same fitting in the float bowl as my carb. It's right above the fuel inlet.
None of the other Q-jets pictured have this fitting though.
I always seem to get the "oddball" stuff though so its no surprise that mine would be different.
Thanks for all your help.
Jim.

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
Just a FYI.

I just pulled this carb apart for a rebuild & that fitting that appeared to be plumbed into the float bowl is not. Where the fitting is located is actually beside the float bowl & it has a port cast into it that goes straight into the primary venturi on the starboard side.

Which, if my memory serves me well, is where a vacuum port is on an automotive carb

Last edited: