Mercruiser 140 with alpha one drive hard to find neutral

Angrymeat

Cadet
Ok be gentle I am new to the wonderful world of boating and like many of us got what i felt was a great deal *$800 on a 1986 Four-Winns freedom boat with a mercruiser 140 and alpha one drive. here are the serial numbers I have .
A617036 motor
A597019 Alpha
A606387 ??? was on the giant folder of documents he gave me with the boat.

So We took it out yesterday for the first time and it did pretty well at fist. Started up and ran fine no real issue short of it seemed a bit hard to turn and it sort of felt as if it was constantly drifting to the right. Fyi I am a fairly large guy so i chalked that up to fat man on a little boat. As we came in to dock the boat at the ramp i noticed it was neutral was well for lack of a better word wandering. When i came to what should be neutral it was still going forward. I then went into reverse a little to realign and it had a similar experience I found neutral but it was well forward of center. As you can imagine this little constant back and forth dance of finding neutral in its new random location each time made for an amazing first time experience. I did check the shift interrupter switch and when i depressed it the engine died which if i read correctly that means the switch itself is working. I noticed once i got it home as well that i had a fair amount of water in the bilge as i looked over the bellows it seems my shift cable bellows has split and come apart from the hose clamp. I assume to replace that I need to pull the lower portion of the drive. I did start it up today and run through the gears and neutral seemed to be where it should be. however when going into gear it made what seemed like alot of clanking and seemed slow to engage. This of course could be normal but i would like to know what you guys think. if you need videos of any of the problems i can add them as well. Any help would be appreciated.

ps
sorry for the wall of text :D

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

Need to replace the lower shift cable, they wear over time and need replacing. Guess while your at it replace all the boots and trim limit switch and gauge sender. Also change gear lube and water pump impeller

Maybe before getting all into that check out the inside of the transom. If you can push a screw drive into the wood its soft and will need replacing

Angrymeat

Cadet
yeah i had read about the shifter cable and that was my next thought and i also figured if im dropping the lower i had better fix all the other crap that im sure is going to make me do it again over the next year or so. is there anything i can to to test the lower cable to make sure its the issue?

alldodge

Staff member
There is a lot of info in the "Adults Only Section" at the top of this area, or a quick link in my sig
Here is the how to vid to show you how to adjust the cable. Adjust as shown and if it doesn't work correctly afterwards then you need a new shift cable

Angrymeat

Cadet
I just wanted to update the thread in case it helps anyone in the future.
I yanked the out drive and found water in the u-joint bellow due to what looked like a bad gasket on where the outdrive connects to the bell housing. it had water tracks in a bad section of the nearly deteriorated gasket.
I replaced the u-joint bellows, shift cable bellows, exhaust bellows (with tube) trim sender/limit and shift cable.
The shift linkage before had a couple of issues it was hitting the metal fuel line and the line from the fuel pump had been routed in a way it obstructed it a little. All of the screws on the shift linkage were super loose and the shift cable had a ton of slop in it.

After a lot of cursing at whoever made that 2 bolt sender cable retainer and little trouble here and there is it all back to get and seems to shift much better now.
I will know more after I get it on the lake hopefully this week. I am still fighting the trim switch issue but I have another post going for that as to not muddy up the waters.

I wish I had done the gimbal bearing looking back but what can you do now. Thanks for your help.

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks for the update, and look forward to hear the final outcome