Help. Stern drive won't go back in. Alpha 1 Gen II

Boat Pilot

Cadet
2000 Bayliner Capri 1950 w/3.0 Mercruiser Inboard, Alpha 1 Outdrive. I can get the outdrive in until the splines just start to bump on the engine coupler splines. The bolts on the gimbal ring are just about to touch the outdrive. Gimbal bearing is locking on the shaft at the taper. I suspect the play in the U joint is keeping it from slipping in.
I have the alignment tool and got it in smooth as butter with even grease lines all around. The shifter is in Forward both on the boat and outdrive. Nothing is touching except the shaft. I've spent many hours trying multiple things. Any tips for getting the shaft to go in? I really want to get the boat in the water this weekend!

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Are you turning the prop a bit (CCW) to get the input shaft to turn enough to line up the splines with the coupler splines?

Boat Pilot

Cadet
Are you turning the prop a bit (CCW) to get the input shaft to turn enough to line up the splines with the coupler splines?
Yes I can feel them bumping the edges, so not locked in place in the coupler yet, but definitely touching the splines on both. I've also been doing a lot of reading on the other posts along similar lines, but I'm not having any luck getting their tricks and tips on alignment and such to work for me.

Last edited:

Boat Pilot

Cadet
Still nothing. Spent at least a good 16 to 20 hours trying and researching this so far. The shaft is stopping on the gimbal bearing as it tapers out to 35mm. It's hung at 32mm on the bottom (I can tell from greasing it up heavily to see where the marks are). Again the alignment tool goes in easily. If I could just hold the U joint up to keep the shaft from settling at the rear I think I'd be OK. There's no way I can see to access the shaft once it's mostly in though. Still need some ideas. More things I tried again include installing with the outdrive all the way up and all the way down, rapping the alignment tool up down left and right to align the swivel on the bearing (as noted in this forum), and triple checking that the gimbal bearing is seated all the way in place. I really don't want to have to haul this thing to a shop, but unless someone can enlighten me, I'm at a loss.

Bondo

Staff member
More things I tried again include installing with the outdrive all the way up and all the way down

Huh,..??..?? Welcome Aboard,.... The trim rams are unhooked, there is no trimmed up or down,....

But anyways,....
It sometimes takes abit of joshilin' to get the drive into the coupler,.....
A few tricks of mine,....
Wrap a bungee strap 'round the prop shaft, hooked to the cav-plate on each side,....
Turn the prop shaft forward, while holdin' abit of pressure against the shift shoe, in forward,....
The tension from the bungee strap, holds the gearcase in Forward gear,....

Did ya grease the u-joints,..??
Sometimes that'll tighten 'em up alittle bit, so's they ain't so floppy,....
Also, maybe turn the input shaft 90?, so's the u-joints are floppin' the other way,.... or 45?,...

Jack the trailer jack up enough so the drive is exactly the right height, when sittin' on a 2x piece of wood, to just rock forward, 'n into place,....

Bungee the trim rams up, outa yer way,....
Set the drive on the block of wood, 'n slide it forward, as ya wiggle whatever needs wigglin' to get it on, 'n in-place,....

Once ya get close, ya might need to rotate the shaft to allow the splines to engage,....
Ya turn the prop shaft to turn the input shaft,...

Just before ya slam it home, be sure the shift shoe, 'n shift foot are still in Forward gear,.....
Then put the nuts on, 'n tighten to 'bout 50 ft.lbs,...

Boat Pilot

Cadet
1. Huh,..??..?? Welcome Aboard,.... The trim rams are unhooked, there is no trimmed up or down,....

2. But anyways,....
It sometimes takes abit of joshilin' to get the drive into the coupler,.....
A few tricks of mine,....
Wrap a bungee strap 'round the prop shaft, hooked to the cav-plate on each side,....
Turn the prop shaft forward, while holdin' abit of pressure against the shift shoe, in forward,....
The tension from the bungee strap, holds the gearcase in Forward gear,....

3. Did ya grease the u-joints,..??
Sometimes that'll tighten 'em up alittle bit, so's they ain't so floppy,....
Also, maybe turn the input shaft 90?, so's the u-joints are floppin' the other way,.... or 45?,...

4. Jack the trailer jack up enough so the drive is exactly the right height, when sittin' on a 2x piece of wood, to just rock forward, 'n into place,....

5. Bungee the trim rams up, outa yer way,....
Set the drive on the block of wood, 'n slide it forward, as ya wiggle whatever needs wigglin' to get it on, 'n in-place,....

6. Once ya get close, ya might need to rotate the shaft to allow the splines to engage,....
Ya turn the prop shaft to turn the input shaft,...

7. Just before ya slam it home, be sure the shift shoe, 'n shift foot are still in Forward gear,.....
Then put the nuts on, 'n tighten to 'bout 50 ft.lbs,...

1. I meant that I held it up by hand like it was trimmed up. It was a nice try, but down on blocks of wood (4.) is much easier. No success either way just yet tho.

2. So far, I'm not having any trouble keeping it in Forward gear, but I'll use a bungee to help so I don't have to think about it. Good tip, thanks!

3. Unfortunately, my u-joints aren't greasable (no zerk fittings), but ya, that's what I'm trying to figure out to keep them from sagging and flopping. I have been rotating it at all angles though to try finding the perfect one.

4.-6. Got it.

7. I wish I could get there, but thanks for the torques. Hopefully I'll get there tonight or tomorrow. Fingers crossed. This mechanic is learning what it means to cuss like a sailor already. Sheesh. This is supposed to be a 5 minute fix, not 5 days haha.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Wow. You been through the ringer.

Double check the orings on the input shaft. If you have a lot of grease in the groove before the orings get rolled on, the grease under the oring can make it no longer fit into the gimbal bearing.

Glue the big square oring into the bell housing using bellows cement. That keeps it out of the way and unpinchable.

Bungee the prop CCW to hold it into forward gear. Make everything as straight and level as possible by jacking the trailer up or down.

If you were in Northern Idaho I'd charge you some beer to come help :^)

Boat Pilot

Cadet
If you were in Northern Idaho I'd charge you some beer to come help :^)

Haha I'd take you up on that in a heartbeat!

I'll double-check the O-rings, but I haven't made it to the gimbal bearing ones yet, just the thick one farther up on the shaft. The other stuff I'm good to go on. We'll give it another shot tonight and tomorrow. Otherwise I have to give in and let it sit for a month while I'm in class. Bummer. Hoping to go water skiing this weekend though if I'm lucky.

Boat Pilot

Cadet
Finally got it!!! Nothing much new, just tried everything suggested and the same result. So I got some masking tape to wrap around the u-joint for the heck of it to stabilize it. then it didn't go in, but I gave it a good couple kicks and it started to go in.m Unfortunately the bungee slipped off and the prop went into neutral. It slipped off easily so I unwrapped the tape and gave it another shot. This time one little "love-tap" with my foot got it to slide on all the way with no problem. And now I won't have to worry about the paper tape (which probably would've disintegrated anyway with no issues, just a u-joint there). So I dipped the whole lower in a large bucket of water and started her up. The impeller's not drawing up water and the water pump is dry so I shut it off before it got warm just to be safe. Now to do some research on priming the pumps and making sure it circulates. After that...test drive on the open waters! Wish me luck, and give any further advice on not ruining my first boat. :lol::facepalm:

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Yay!

Warning. DO NOT FIRE UP A MERCRUISER IN A BUCKET.

Impeller pumps do not produce suction. They are primed by submersing them. If you are firing your motor on the hard use muffs so you don't burn up your impeller.

Boat Pilot

Cadet
Thanks for the warning. That makes sense. So floristry I didn't burn up the impeller. I backed the boat up into a lake today and gave it a start. Everything's working it seems, and we're high and dry, so I'll try to get it in the water again tomorrow. Hope it goes smooth!
Well that's all I've got for this thread topic for now. I'll add on if a related issue pops up or if anyone has questions or recommendations. Thanks for all the input!