Tachometer Problem

Gerard1982

Recruit
I have a 2001 Maxum 1800sr with Mercruiser 3.0

The tachometer stopped working. When the boat was being serviced, I asked the mechanic to check it. He told me that he pluged in another guage and it worked so he suggested that I order a new guage and fit it myself.

The original Faria guage had part number TC9237A. This is no longer available so I got what I think is an equivalent (just without the hour meter). Part number for the new one is TC9653A.

I fitted the guage this evening and I have a problem.

First off the connections are all in the same place as the previous guage and the little rotary switch is in position 1 (4 CYL).

Now the problem: When I turn the key, the needle starts to slowly rise. When I start the engine the needle points directly down.

I have no idea what the problem is. Does anyone have any advice?

Here is a link to a video which I uploaded which shows the needle rising when the key is turned (without starting the engine):

https://youtu.be/5J-nDjpaiM8

Gerard1982

Recruit
I solved this problem. It was simply a matter of rotating the switch on the back of the guage a few times. Although the switch was in the correct position it must not have been contacting properly.

alldodge

Staff member
:welcome:

Glad you figured it out on your own, and hope you stick around to maybe help another along the way

Happy boating