Older 470 with newer style starter wiring ?'s

MR_M

Recruit
Ok, so I decided to replace the starter on my '82 470. I believe it is one of the final years with single slave solenoid to non solenoid starter. I have the new style (with solenoid) starter bolted up but I can't seem to figure out the wiring. I have searched through several threads trying to pin down this particular setup but seems the wiring is slightly different for newer models versus what I have.

I think I remember that the slave wiring is supposed to stay the same as it was correct? Does this all use the existing wiring or am I adding on top of what's already there? Because with the old setup the only wire going from the output side of the slave was a large yellow to the starter.

Thank you for your time and I appreciate any feedback.

Brandon

1982 Avanti 175 DLI

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
When you replace the old style starter with a new starter with a mounted solenoid, you run the wire from the slave to the "S" terminal of the new starter solenoid. You will want to change the ring terminal at the end to a smaller one so it fits well. You could run a smaller wire since you are drawing a lot less current now (12 or 14 should work just fine). You also run a new heavy battery cable from the battery + to the large terminal of the starter solenoid. With the old system the current flows from the battery to the (what is now) the slave to the starter motor. With the new system the slave feeds the solenoid, and the battery connects to the large terminal of the solenoid. When you hit start the slave activates the solenoid and feeds current from the battery to the starter motor.

Last edited:

MR_M

Recruit
Quick update, got it going! Starts waaaay faster than the old one ha.

Thanks Stony!