87 Searay Alpha One Shift & Start problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

4ceesuns

Recruit
OK, I have an ?87 Searay with the Alpha One Bravo One system, well maintained, in great shape, except for shifting.

For years, I have fought the proper Interrupter switch/gear shift ?happy place? and have sacrificed full access to reverse, experienced many inability to start issues thanks to the switch?..now the shifter is not properly shifting the outdrive in and out of Fwd and Rev, is haning up, cannot dependably find a place where the interrupter allows starting in neutral. I have not replaced the interrupter switch, but have twice replaced the shift cable.

A couple years ago the boat was in at a reputable marina for a new Y pipe, I provided them a NIB Shifter from an online source, not cheap. They would not install it, they felt the shift problems I was having is more a problem with old shift and outdrive parts. I dunno.

Now my great boat with a great engine is not usable due to inability to shift/start all seemingly related to the original Shifter assembly (at helm) and/or interrupter assembly.

Please let me know if I am on the right track, and if you know a good source for QuickSilver Mercruiser Alpha One Shift Assemblies.

Many thanks for what is hopefully lots of great information.
Thanks,
Gene (4Ceesuns)

Bondo

Staff member
I have an ?87 Searay with the Alpha One Bravo One system,

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... I'm guessin' ya got an Alpha 1, Not a Bravo 1,....

I provided them a NIB Shifter from an online source, not cheap. They would not install it, they felt the shift problems I was having is more a problem with old shift and outdrive parts.

Seein's they had it apart, I'm also guessin' they're probably right,....

The interrupter switch has Nothin' to do with startin' the motor, 'n should move ONLY when comin' Outa gear, in the water, with a load on the prop,....

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
You looking at the wrong end of the horse .the shift interupter only controls shifting out of gear. Should never even move when shifting into gear on land or in the water. A non -starting issue is the neutral safety switch in the control box.From the ign key, thru the neutral safety, thru the harness to the slave solenoid/relay to the starters solenoid to the starter .

I don't know, I always thought the interrupter had nothing to do with starting. Last year I replaced the distributor and the module on my Alpha one. Drove aprox 3 miles and it died. would not start for a couple days.

I read on this sight that the switch can make it hard/impossible to start.
So figuring I was wasting my time, with nothing to loose. I cleaned the switch with a spray can of electric cleaned. Then took a thin sharp knife worked it between the switch and arm. Pushed the switch ? a dozen times.

Expecting nothing I turned the key and damn it it not start immediately.
Have started it and stopped it several times no problem...

Thought? Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.