Forgot reluctor wheel when swapping engine. ????

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer
I don't like posting help in my title but I'm in a crunch
I swapped my engine out with a good used motor both are 5.7l mercruiser.
Engine is still on stand but is 99% complete.

My old motor has a crank sensor and is TBI but new motor was carb and had no sensor.
When I swapped everything over I forgot the reluctor wheel on old motor.
So now I have the timing cover with crank sensor but no wheel on crank. I'm beating myself up bc I'm gonna have to take off bunch of parts to access crank shaft end again
HERES MY ISSUE...I can't find a plug on my harness that even goes to the crank plug.
It also almost looks like it wasn't plugged in to begin with as it has dirt n oil etc on it instead of being clean as if it was plugged up.
What could I be missing here??
I was hoping to drop the motor back in the boat tomorrow after work and be able to water test it Thursday. Have a big weekend planned that I don't wanna miss !
Thank you!!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
are you running a carb? or EFI

if your running EFI, you need the reluctor / crank sensor

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer
Its TBI. This is the wierd part, I CANT find a plug on the harness that will fit the crank sensor.
Is it possible it wasn't used? Everything on harness is already plugged up, only some grounds left and few bullet connectors.

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer
I really don't wanna break the seals that I just installed to out the wheel back on, but I dont want to get it in the boat and it not run either! Lol

Fun Times

Staff member
Small world, I was just reading yesterday a similar topic we had back in 2012 regarding the Reluctor wheel not installed like you're in right now... To save you some time, read Chris's idea on post number 13 in the following link which worked out for that OP it seems, http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...-reluctor-ring

Being you have an older EFI / TBI to marine use, the Crankshaft sensor was not being used on that system....The sensor is only used as a plug to keep the timing cover from leaking engine oil. There is going to be no wire harness plug on those EFI engine models thus why you happen to have found the sensor dirty where one would connect.

If the engine used a flat cap distributor design then you would need the crank sensor plugged in... This system wasn't used until starting late 2002/03ish model years on most small engines....Yours sounds to be around 1997ish correct?

The reason you have a crank sensor installed is due to GM was using it in their trucks, etc. while the marine side wasn't that far advanced yet in technology.....So again it's just an expensive oil plug that you need.....Though they do happen to sell a non sensor plug as well.

Just to double check all this for you, what is your original engine serial number? Never lose your original Mercruiser serial number as you'll want/need it to find the correct accessory parts for your engine.

Last edited:

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer
Small world, I was just reading yesterday a similar topic we had back in 2012 regarding the Reluctor wheel not installed like you're in right now... To save you some time, read Chris's idea on post number 13 in the following link which worked out for that OP it seems, http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...nboard-engines-outdrives/566975-reluctor-ring

Being you have an older EFI / TBI to marine use, the Crankshaft sensor was not being used on that system....The sensor is only used as a plug to keep the timing cover from leaking engine oil. There is going to be no wire harness plug on those EFI engine models thus why you happen to have found the sensor dirty where one would connect.

If the engine used a flat cap distributor design then you would need the crank sensor plugged in... This system wasn't used until starting late 2002/03ish model years on most small engines....Yours sounds to be around 1997ish correct?

That's how it seems! Like it was just there to plug the hole. I should've just left the old cover on it I guess lol
I'm a little confused though, so it's used as a spacers basically? And he had it machined down. And put it through the front cover hole?

Fun Times

Staff member
That's how it seems! Like it was just there to plug the hole. I should've just left the old cover on it I guess lol
I'm a little confused though, so it's used as a spacers basically? And he had it machined down. And put it through the front cover hole?
Yes he had the wheel machined down and fit it through the front seal cover hole....It's best that it's in there but you don't need the teeth since you don't have a sensor to read. This procedure should you decide to try it would just save you the time and possibly the expenses of buying a new cover should it become damaged during removal...I'm sending you a PM (private message) to try something if you'd like.

achris might recall this as well.

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Yep. You need the sensor wheel as the spacer. If you don't, as you tighten the centre screw in the pulley it'll pull the pulley in too far. Machining down to fit through the hole is fine.

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer
Ok, send the PM. Thanks

Now that I'm thinking about it, I used the matched balancer for the new motor, which didn't have a reluctor wheel to begin with. So it should be fine anyway shouldn't it?
The timing gear should already be spaced properly with balancer seeing as I used the same parts it had originally?

Does this have any affect on belts lining up?
What do y'all think?
I appreciate the input of everyone so far. I love this forum!!