Alpha One Gen 2 water spraying out of upper unit top cap.

elneino

Recruit
I started the engine for the first time this year while dry docked and found water spraying out of the side of the upper unit top cap on my 1992 alpha one gen 2. I took the top cap off to inspect the gear oil and thought I had it back on tight enough but I'm now thinking I should have changed the o-ring while it was off. I'm confused at where the water is coming from. I noticed two holes on the top of the upper unit, when the cap was off, that are behind the oil reservoir. Does water from the intake flow through these ports in the upper gear housing? Does anyone know what the torque specifications are for top bolts on the upper cap?

Thanks,

Gary

Rick Stephens

Admiral
The rear area under the top cap is a water jacket to cool the gears. The o- ring has nothing to do with the water filled area. My drive drips a little water from there. The manual says to use sealer on that rear opening to seal it up.

The bolts holding the cap on are supposed to be torqued to 20 ft pounds.

elneino

Recruit
I'm relieved. I was worried the water was coming from the oil reservior. Thanks for the quick reply Rick.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
As a 1992 drive, you have a rubber plug in the top of the water cavity. That plug has been deleted by Merc, and a new procedure for sealing the top of the housing implimented. If you have that rubber plug, then it traps water between itself and the top cover, and the little salts get in and have a corrosion party. A corrosion hole will form in the housing and water will spray out the side. Unfortunately, by the time you see the water coming out, all the damage is done. I have fixed a few like this.

What is required to fix them properly is for the housing to be stripped and taken to a GOOD ali welder for him to grind out the corrsion and TIG in some new metal. Once I get the housing back it's up to me to machine it back to a perfect surface. I then put all new seals in the box and put it back together. I also follow Merc's new sealing procedure (and I use either Blue RTV or black RTV) for the water cavity of the top cover. If you don't seal it properly, the escaping water will just erode a new hole and you'll be back to where you started.

The screw head is a 12 point 3/8"...

Chris........
dsh.PNG

elneino

Recruit
Thanks for your post Achris. Update: Before I saw your post I went to the local marine store and he sold be the rubber plug. I put it in, started it up and it still leaked. I took the top back off, fine sanded the surfaces, got some sealer from the marina mechanic and put it back together (with the rubber plug still in) problem solved. Thanks again for both of your help.

Gary

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I hope you're going to remove the plug. ;)