Another issue ! Last boat I'll own lol Rattling noise

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
Hi guys issue number 6 I found ..
there is a rattle noise like a bad bushing only if I shake the gimbal ring ? I hope
That's normal or at least an easy job I'm never owning another boat again lol
Here's a video

https://youtu.be/aSgD12g3kpA

tpenfield

Staff member
A little bit of slop in the pin/bushing. I would not worry about it though . . . on any used boat, the more you look for stuff the more you will find. As long as you have the 'big' stuff covered, then you should be fine.

Boats are never perfect it seems, so you will always have a list of things to do and it will be a matter of deciding the 'what' and 'when' of fixing them.

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
Oh ok I just thought that slop maybe made that helicopter thumping noise when I turn hard left or hard right ... I also had a busted ujoint it most likely the ujoint right?
I'll just fix the other 4 -5 issues it has now and put back together and see ...

Thanks guys

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
boats have a design life of about 15 years. so any boat with a few years on it has issues. Like Ted said, they are never perfect. you either have repair bills or a monthly loan bill

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
lol that's true so maybe next boat will be an outboard I heard those are much more easy to work on and more durable ?

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Hey guys is this normal ? I have a feeling who ever worked on it last installed the bearing wrong ? When I pump grease it comes out the edges ?

Attachments

• photo268951.JPG
    photo268951.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 0

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
Actually after I pumped more it started coming out around the center ring and more places .. so I guess I'm ok?

But it did get harder to spin? It was spinning more freely now with more grease it's harder to spin?

Fishingaddict88

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Are you using the mercruiser recommended grease? The bearing might be shot, especially if the U-joint blew. They are not that expensive to replace, I'd look into that. It should spin freely.

Btw, too much grease is not a good thing either.

tpenfield

Staff member
I know Mercruiser specs a different grease for just about everything . . . I use the same grease for everything . . . Sounds like you got some new grease to the bearing. If you put two fingers on the race and it feels smooth while rotating it, then you are probably in good shape. If it feels rough at all, then it might want a new one.

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
I know Mercruiser specs a different grease for just about everything . . . I use the same grease for everything . . . Sounds like you got some new grease to the bearing. If you put two fingers on the race and it feels smooth while rotating it, then you are probably in good shape. If it feels rough at all, then it might want a new one.

It's Not that rough and no noise but just not as smooth as it just was with less grease .. I did pump a lot of grease into it .. will to much grease make it harder to spin ?

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Too much grease . . . should not make it harder to spin. What you are feeling for is if the bearings have pits in them, which will give a slightly rough/bumpy feel as you turn the bearing race.

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
Too much grease . . . should not make it harder to spin. What you are feeling for is if the bearings have pits in them, which will give a slightly rough/bumpy feel as you turn the bearing race.

It's weird why was it smooth before I greased it? Now I do feel a Little friction just a little , and it's heavier to spin the center ring , I checked a new bearing I have sitting here and it also is very hard to spin maybe because it's bone dry? Maybe I need to grease mine more ? Idk I'm confused lol

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... It turns harder because it's fulla grease,.... the new 1 is no doubt pre-greased,...

Yer lookin' for a butter smooth feel when rotatin' it,... Not how freely it turns,....

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
Some bearings are "tight" to spin by hand. If it feels like the bearings inside are made from gravel, it's bad. It's a definitely noticable feeling.

Too much grease in a gimbal bearing shouldn't cause any problems. Grease is much cheaper than parts and a little extra is better than a little too little.

FWIW, I always use Mobil 1 synthetic for everything. Boat, trailer, truck, (everything but caliper slides on brakes-should be moly grease

Last edited:

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
Oh ok I thought it should be very loose .. it turns good nothing grinding just not smooth as it was before I greased it.. for example before one finger it would spin around easily now 2 fingers but I have to put just a little more force to spin it .. so I guess I'm ok ?

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks brother next job is that sleeve it's in my other post , after the sleeve the damn seal won't go on maybe because of the sharp edges of the sleeve? Should I add oil or file them inwards ? And how tight is the seal supposed to be before the sleeve it was on pretty snug without oil it wouldn't move lol that's normal ?