Trim sender question

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
As part of my refurb, I was investigating the trim sender on my boat, as it isn't working. The limit switch works fine, but investigation shows that the wires from the trim gauge goes through the transom and no further! Where should they be hooked up to continue on to the dash gauge? I looked high and low and couldn't find any spare/vacant plugs or wires. The limit switch wires go plug into two connectors and disappear into a loom. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Should be a male and female bullet type connectors, Brown and black I think.

Last edited:

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
Should be a male and female bullet type connectors, Brown and black I think.

​Thanks stony. That much I know, the bullet connectors are on the ends of the wires from the sender, but they are just hanging loose and "empty" inside the engine bay, not connected to anything. Can I just run new wiring to the gauge?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If its the boat in your sig look for them at the front, port side just above the fuel sep filter, one p[lugs into the brown wire and the ring terminal goes to ground

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
The other matching ends may be connected to a terminal strip, they should be within the length of the wires from the sender.

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
If its the boat in your sig look for them at the front, port side just above the fuel sep filter, one p[lugs into the brown wire and the ring terminal goes to ground

Thanks for the responses. On my engine, the fuel/ water separator is on the front starboard side, opposite the power steering pump. It's a 5.7 , V8 mercruiser, just to clarify. Also, the two wires from the sender on the leg have a male and female bullet connector on them. No ring terminals. Will take another look see on Sunday when I'm back home. Thanks again.

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
I took another look see today and found two wires, with male and female bullet connectors, plugged into each other. They are both attached to screws on the top of the fuel/water separator housing, alongside the reset button. The wires from the trim gauge would just about reach these connectors, so would this be where they should be connected? One wire is grey, painted over in black and the other is white, also painted over. Thanks in advance.