Exact fit speedi sleeve for 865492T yoke ?

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
Hi guys I'm having a hard time finding a speedi sleeve or any brand for that matter.. my yoke is 865492T . I guess all short yokes for gen 2 are the same size ?
2.25 in x .35-.37

I have the outside clips on mine

Last edited by a moderator:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Got 1 right here on my desk,.... SKF 99225,.....

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
Skf 99225 is way to tall no? It's listed at 28mm ? That's about an inch ? From break off point to top of shaft is only .40-.50 inch right ? Seems like 99838 is the correct size ?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... This is how I've been doin' these yokes, 'n speedi-sleeves,.....

As noted, I use the 99225,....
I pop the yoke in the freezer the night before,....
I take the speedi-sleeve, 'n knock the drivin' ring off it, 'n heat it in boilin' water,....(or with a torch, ya just don't want it too hot)
When I figure it's good, 'n hot, I take the yoke from the freezer, 'n the sleeve from the water, 'n quickly drop it onto the yoke, gently drivin' it on with a plastic tool,...
(sometimes a propane torch is necessary to reheat the sleeve abit)
Once it's seated, I trim/ taper the outer edge with a flat file, 'n sandpaper to create the bevel for the seal to ride over,...

Then the yoke goes back to work,....

Yer results may vary,....

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
Ayuh,.... This is how I've been doin' these yokes, 'n speedi-sleeves,.....

As noted, I use the 99225,....
I pop the yoke in the freezer the night before,....
I take the speedi-sleeve, 'n knock the drivin' ring off it, 'n heat it in boilin' water,....(or with a torch, ya just don't want it too hot)
When I figure it's good, 'n hot, I take the yoke from the freezer, 'n the sleeve from the water, 'n quickly drop it onto the yoke, gently drivin' it on with a plastic tool,...
(sometimes a propane torch is necessary to reheat the sleeve abit)
Once it's seated, I trim/ taper the outer edge with a flat file, 'n sandpaper to create the bevel for the seal to ride over,...

Then the yoke goes back to work,....

Yer results may vary,....

Nice tips I'll do exactly as u said But isn't the 99225 to tall do you cut the excess ? The 99227 is shorter better fit for My yoke ? Or all yokes have the same depth ?

Bondo

Staff member
But isn't the 99225 to tall do you cut the excess ? Once it's seated, I trim/ taper the outer edge with a flat file, 'n sandpaper to create the bevel for the seal to ride over,...

Ayuh,... The outer edge is susceptible to dings installin' it,... or the drivin' ring can get in the way,.... the short rings leave nothin' to trim,...

If ya wanta do it the way the speedi-sleeve was designed to be installed, buy the shorter one you found,.....

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
The shorter one at .35 inch is enough ? Isn't the seal .35 ? Leaves no room for error crap didn't think about that or I can leave the flange correct ?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
"Yer results may vary,...."

And if pain persists, see your doctor.

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
"Yer results may vary,...."

And if pain persists, see your doctor.

I don't get it , so am I safe with the 99227 on my yoke if I leave or take off the flange ? Will the flange even sit flush on my yoke? Or do I have to get the taller one and file it / cut it down ?

achris

My comment was a spoof on pain medication advertising. But you use what you want to use, just make sure the new speedie sleeve surface it where the seal runs.

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
That's what I don't know , where does it run ? Center or top or bottom half ?

alldodge

Staff member
I'm stepping into something that have not fully researched, boy that's never happened before :facepalm: but if the 25 is longer so covers more surface area then the 27. While the seal may only need a shorter distance, using one a tad longer should not pose an issue because nothing comes in contact with it. It provides more seal contact area

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
I'm stepping into something that have not fully researched, boy that's never happened before :facepalm: but if the 25 is longer so covers more surface area then the 27. While the seal may only need a shorter distance, using one a tad longer should not pose an issue because nothing comes in contact with it. It provides more seal contact area

I didn't know that , I thought if it's taller it'll interfere with something .. but your saying it won't ? Ok I guess I'll get the 99225

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Well ,I have never seen a yoke groove there unless the seal was incorrect, the wrong design, improperly installed or not installed deep enough.

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
Well ,I have never seen a yoke groove there unless the seal was incorrect, the wrong design, improperly installed or not installed deep enough.

I don't know either but I'm getting the 99227 tomorrow I'll see if from flange to top is adequate if it looks short I'll just order the 99225 ..
but the flange will sit fine in bottom and won't interfere with anything doc ?

achris

That's what I don't know , where does it run ? Center or top or bottom half ?

Look at the yoke, you'll see the wear mark. Measure its distance from the end of the yoke. Measure the total sealing surface width of the speedie-sleeve. Take half the speedie-sleeve width from the yoke distance, and that's how far from the end of the yoke you need to put the end of the speedie-sleeve... Then the seal will be running in the centre of the sleeve....

BTW, there is no 'short' or 'long' yoke for the Gen IIs, all the yokes are the same length. The only drive with different yoke lengths (between in-line and V engines) was the MC-1 drives (pre-1982)...

Chris..........

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
Look at the yoke, you'll see the wear mark. Measure its distance from the end of the yoke. Measure the total sealing surface width of the speedie-sleeve. Take half the speedie-sleeve width from the yoke distance, and that's how far from the end of the yoke you need to put the end of the speedie-sleeve... Then the seal will be running in the centre of the sleeve....

BTW, there is no 'short' or 'long' yoke for the Gen IIs, all the yokes are the same length. The only drive with different yoke lengths (between in-line and V engines) was the MC-1 drives (pre-1982)...

Chris..........

Which end of the yoke? Top or bottom ?
The mark is fairly high almost at top of yoke as the other guys said that seal I had on before was riding way to high or wrong / improper seal .

Also you said all are the same dimensions yokes ? Is the The only diff is the snap rings connections ? Cant I easily make grooves for the snap rings I found new yokes for $40 instead of the sleeve for $30 ?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
The internal rings are the GKN type yoke for the GEN II drive serial number 0L100009 and up
The second statement by achris refers to the input shaft length sometimes called yoke not to be confused with 865492T