1992 Glastron 1900 w/4.3 questions..

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hey all, got some questions for you...

New to me 1992 Glastron 1900 w/4.3 questions...it had been sitting at least 4 years, properly winterized prior to me.

Finally got to do some real water trials a couple weeks ago.... pretty happy for the most part.

- For some reason the trim indicator pegs full down in the water, but functions just fine out of the water. Anything specific to look for here?

I think its a bit under propped, as it will rev to at least 5200. I backed it off right away. I dont think it should be hitting over 4800.

After about 30 secs at 4800, it wanted to surge and start bogging down. 4500 rpm, no issues at all..... Rest of the time was spent well under those numbers!!

I will give it a solid tune up and some fuel treatment and see what happens next time. But in the meantime, any guidance would be great.

Tanks in advance...

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
First thing you want to do is verify that your tach is accurate using a shop tachometer...

As far as the trim sender, it almost sounds like it could be cracked or leaking... I believe its basically a potentiometer so its wet inside, it might change the resistance.. if you can get to the gauge or connectors on the wires easily, you could verify the resistance in and out of the water.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Sitting all that time... did you get all the old gas out?
Replace fuel filters
and rebuild carb? ( I would, the surging sounds like float level or other carb prob)

I always liked the Glastrons. Nice boats.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Rick, Jross and Marc, thank you for the feedback. Lines up with my hunch, but its nice to get confirmation.

Im not sure what prop is on it..I cant read the #'s with the prop nut on it. Just havent taken it off yet.

Ill have to see if I can get my hands on a shop tach.

Yea, I siphoned the old fuel out, I would guess that your right on the money with a carb rebuild.

Thanks again...

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would wonder if the fuel system can only support so much RPM. Sort of a fuel pump capacity matched to the proposed flow situation.
I love your peak RPM on a boat used for water sports. You have maximum low end pull, and you can control the top end manually.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I would wonder if the fuel system can only support so much RPM. Sort of a fuel pump capacity matched to the proposed flow situation.
I love your peak RPM on a boat used for water sports. You have maximum low end pull, and you can control the top end manually.

Leardriver... as in Learjet?

I dont think its that sophisticated ... its essentially a carbureted chevy v6.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... The same fuel system is used on a 454 Big block, so No,....