Mercruiser 5.7 Gas Issue

GaryDE

Recruit
Hi I have a 2003 Centurion Bowrider sport. Tried to strt it up and all it would do is crank. I couldnt smell gas so I disconnected the fuel line from the carb and cranked it. No gas was being delivered to the carb. The Pump afte rthe fuel/water seperator seems to be spinning. I pulled the input to the seperator and cranked it. No gas came out of the hose. I am wondering if there is a primary gas pump in the tank and how to get to it if there is. Thanks!

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

Should not start multiple threads in different sections for the same problem. This is the correct section for your issue.

There is no pump in the tank so the reason the pump is not pumping fuel is either, the tank pickup tube is clogged, the fuel line going to the pump is clogged, antisiphon valve on top the tank is stuck, or the pump has gone bad.

From what your telling us, I'm leaning toward a pump problem, but lets test first.
If you have not done it yet, remove the old filter and dump the contents into a clean baggie or container. See if you see anything but clean gas.

Get a gas can with clean gas and connect a hose to the inlet side of the pump. Turn the pump on and see if it will pump. If it does not pump, then you need another pump.
If it does pump, take a new gas filter and prefill it with clean gas and install. Connect the gas can to the inlet side of the filter and turn pump on.

Let us know what you find

GaryDE

Recruit
Sorry about the multiple threads. Wasn't sure where to post it.
Pulled the pump and dumped some fuel/injector cleaner in there and let it sit for a few hours. Then bench tested it with a battery charger a bucket and some water. Worked like a charm! Stuck it back in the boat sucked out all the garbage from the filter, plugged it back up to the carb, and fired right up! Something tells me the pump might be going bad. Gonna pick up a new one from amazon and keep it on board just in case. Thanks! This forum is great!

Bondo

Staff member
Then bench tested it with a battery charger a bucket and some water.
Stuck it back in the boat sucked out all the garbage from the filter,

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Why wouldn't you use gas to test a fuel pump, insteada introducin' water into it,..??

'n I hope ya put a New filter on,...
Fuel water separatin' filters are replaced, not reused,...
Reusin' it just puts the crud on the carb side of the filter,....

I'd think the fuel pump is just fine, but it can't pump crud,.... just fresh clean Gasoline,....