Water seepage at upper and lower split

RHUBBARD422

Cadet
Just had the impeller replaced, now when hooked to earmuffs i'm getting water seepage at the split where the upper and lower units meet. Any idea what could be causing this and how serious this issue could be? I am also getting some seepage where the top cover assy bolts to the upper unit but after researching i found the cause of that is due to a missing plug (part number 861738)

1992 Alpha one Gen II

Attachments

• image1 (1).jpeg
    image1 (1).jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 0

achris

More fish than mountain goat
First off, remove that plug and toss it in the trash. Now. Merc stopped using it years ago. There's a service bulletin on it. It traps water between the top cover and the plug and the water sits and corroded the housing. I have repaired quite a few corroded housings!

The water leak between the drive shaft housing and the gear housing is very bad. If you are seeing that it only means one thing. You're looking at the drive with the boat on the trailer when you should be looking out the front screen whizzing along on the water.

Ok. It likely means the gorilla who did the water pump service used screwdrivers to pry the housings apart :facepalm: And that's left dents along that surface that the water leaks out of. Nothing bad, just unnecessarily rough. And now, very little you can do to undamage those surfaces.

Chris.

RHUBBARD422

Cadet
Achris, thanks for the feedback. Not gonna lie you scared me a bit when I first started reading the 2nd paragraph haha. It's an old boat and may have been doing this all along and I just never paid any attention. Thanks for the info on the plug. I'll be leaving it off.

achris

Sorry about the scare. Just my sense of humour.. (Twisted ;)) As for the top cover, here's the description of sealing it in the manul. If you don't have Perfect Seal, use RTV, the blue or black one.

dsh.PNG

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Sorry about the scare. Just my sense of humour.. (Twisted ;)) As for the top cover, here's the description of sealing it in the manul. If you don't have Perfect Seal, use RTV, the blue or black one.

Chris, why would you seal that up? I can't think of any reason I would care that water leaks out around the rear of the top cap. Mine does.

achris

You need to seal it so the water doesn't force against the top cover 'O' ring... You also promote errosive corrosion where it does leak through...

Chris........