Replacement trim pump motor for a 1973 140

sheboyganjohn

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Putting my Sea Ray project back together and one of the trim pumps crapped out on me, or more correctly the motor. Took it apart and pump appears to be just fine. Searched E-bay and found a new replacement motor / reservoir combo and ordered it. Would fit perfectly, except the output shaft on the motor it a couple inches too short. I did not realize there are different length output shafts. I searched and could not find anything about which pump I need. Any ideas? It is the trim pump with a single solenoid. The unit is mounted to the transom plate with a reverse lock out valve. I am hoping I don't need to put a whole new system on, but if I do, I will go that route.

sheboyganjohn

I have not pulled the motor apart yet but it might. Other than a slight burned electrical smell, all looks good. I go ohm out the motor real quick.

sheboyganjohn

Shows open except when I turn the armature slowly, is some places I get continuity but it does not seem consistent. Maybe I just cooked the brushes. If you know where I can get a good armature I could always put it in the new housing.

kenny nunez

Captain
If you disassemble the motor there is a small ball bearing in the end of the armature that keeps the shaft engaged in the pump. If the brushes are stuck in their holders just clean them up and the commutator. To re install cut a piece of coat hanger wire about 6'" and bend it into a "V", use it to hold the brushes in place to re install the brush head then pull it out after the head is seated.

sheboyganjohn

Thank you both of you. I was thinking of the 3 phase ac motors at work. I will have time tonight to open it up. If anything I can swap the commutator over to the new motor assuming its good.

sheboyganjohn

What the heck is wrong with my brain, armature not commutator. . I am headed to the basement to pull the old one apart.

sheboyganjohn

OK here is what we have so far. Brushes were stuck. Inside the can seemed rather oily to me. Cleaned up the commutator and tested each segment to the shaft, No continuity so we are good. Tested segment to segment, continuity all the way around. Cleaned between the segments with a razor blade and still have continuity. Took it outside and sprayed out the gaps with carb cleaner, keeping the windings up and making sure I was not getting any cleaner in the windings. Still tested the same. I would think you should only have continuity between the polar opposite segments or am I wrong?

sheboyganjohn

OK I watched a video on youtube and it appears the armature is ok. I did not have any 1000 grit left so I had to go with 600 wet/dry. It needed it since the brushes were wearing a groove in the commutator. I will pull apart the new one and see if the armature will fit in it correctly. The old one got tipped upside down when it was in storage and it looks like oil leaked into the motor so I guess the seals are shot.

sheboyganjohn

Let's start over, hello my name is John and I'm an idiot. After swapping parts back and forth trying to figure out how to come up with a combo that works, I grabbed the bag with the screws and gasket and wouldn't you know, there was a coupler and a stub shaft in there which made the short shaft on the motor the exact length I needed. Everything bolted right up to my pump. I did learn a few things. One was the best way I found to put the brushes back in is to use a piece of butchers twine (floss would work too), wrap it around the brush on one side and hold the loose ends outside the can with a vice grips, do the other side then pull both tight while placing the top back on. Once on just pull on the long end and let the short end slide around and off the brush.

Good thing I got all this experience. Went to bleed the other motor once I had this one done and that pump crapped out after 30 seconds. At least I now know what I am doing.