Exhaust Manifold Bolts - 69' Mercruiser 160 inline 6 250 cid

tmines

Cadet
Hello,

I am new to boating and have a couple of quick questions in regards to the bolts that hold the manifold. I have two deteriorated nuts on each end of the manifold and having a tough time removing them. So here are my questions:

1) Are the bolts that hold the manifold double end threaded bolts?
2) If so, if I cut them off, is it going to be difficult to remove the bolts after I do so?

Thanks,

Tim M

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If you see a nut the you have a stud threaded into the block but before you go hammering try hammering on a metric socket first and use some heat, a small pipe wrench .If your lucky the stud will come out with the nut

tmines

Cadet
Bt Doctur,

Thank you so much for your response. The rear is too tight for a socket but I will go and pick up a set of metric wrenches. One side is too deteriorated for anything however the other side the metrics may work. Once again thanks for your input.

Sincerely,

Tim M

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
or you get an impact socket, cut a beer can up into strips, lay two strips over the nut, and hammer the socket into place.

tmines

Cadet
Now there's an idea! I can't get a socket in there but I should be able to do the same with a closed end wrench. Thanks Scott!

tmines

Cadet
Ok, so I was able to remove it and it has a pretty good sized crack and I would like to replace it. However, I can't seem to find a replacement anywhere. Do you know if the the manifold for the 165 is compatible? I don't know which way to turn at this point.

tmines

Cadet
Thanks for the reply BT Doctur. So basically the manifold for the 165 will work in place of the 160 manifold. The reason I'm asking is when I do a search for the BARR MC1 58759 it comes up for the 165 and it doesn't tell me if it's compatible or not to the 160.

Bondo

Staff member
it comes up for the 165 and it doesn't tell me if it's compatible or not to the 160.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... They're the same motor, just different vintages,....

Hopefully, the exhaust down-pipe is in the same place for proper alignment,....

tmines

Cadet
Thanks Bondo!! Well, I'm off and running now. You guys are a REALLY big help. This seems like a super supportive forum and I really appreciate it guys!!

Sincerely,

Tim Mines

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
The inline 6 came 3 sizes 230, in cars, 250 in cars and boats and the 300 "Big Six" If you can get your hands on one of them ,with some engine work they can crank out almost 370Hp All thats needed is wet exaust hose because the motor is 2 inches taller.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... The Chevy "Big Six" is a 292 cid,....

Ford built a 300 cid six cylinder,....