Trim rams anodes almost gone. How much longer in salt water?

Bondo

Staff member
Again, the trim ram anodes are almost gone, the rest are not too bad.

Ayuh,..... Anodes are supposed to be replaced at 50% or better,....

Yer already potentially in trouble,....

I dont really see a bid electrical hazard at the marina. ALL Electrical outlets have new breakers. And the wiring looks well built and safe

The marina's system might be just Fine,....
But,... Every boat plugged into that perfect system could be the Problem,....

alldodge

Staff member
IMO I would not mix and aluminum is your best bet. If need be replace the ones on the boat now with new if they get to small. The good thing it appears your anodes are taking the hit and not the drive. The props will not have any issue, and for the most part the stainless in the prop is what is causing the issue. If you can find the deep socket you can replace your rear prop nut with one of these, it adds another anode

B3 anode.jpg
The main place were I have found erosion is on the bearing carrier. Once the front prop is removed, I find pitting on it. So need to clean prime and repaint.

b3 bearing.jpg

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class
IMO anything less than 50% remaining is no good.

Sounds like you would need a haul-out in order to replace the anodes.

If you are handy, you could probably replace them while the boat is in the water.

Do you have the prop anodes?

The lack of anode protection will tend to take out the bearing carriers ($400 part plus labor ), so you want to be sure to maintain good anodes.

Ted.
The only anodes that are under 50% are the trim rams. The rest are decent. Haul would cost me around $450. I dont have the skills to replace them in the water. I just added another zinc (now I have one next to each drive). Also, I disconnected the shore power (cable was partially in the water).
The outdrives and props are in good shape (no pitting).
And..i will get the boat out early this year by 23 Sept.
Thanks,
Lui

Last edited: